Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Investigation Part Four

 

Lunchtime at Sunburst.


Becky: Oh, man, that looks good.  And smells even better.

Tris: Brick oven in the back, from the auction when Taste of the Orient closed.  Strange thing to have in an Asian buffet, but we aren't complaining.  

Becky: No way!  I knew Midna hired the Rhees, but this?  It's their recipe and everything?

Tris: Sure is.  I took leftovers home last night and barely got any, between Four and the new puppy.  I keep telling him not to give Dauntless people food!  

Ben: When Dauntless barfs all over him, he might learn.  Maybe.


Ben: Now, what were you saying?  The kids are insisting they each need their own room?

Becky: Yes, and I know we can afford it now that I've got the WDLC job, but... Sorry, I can't get over how different you look with your hair down.  I almost didn't recognize you when you picked me up.

Ben: Claudia told me only pretentious losers have a man bun.  


Becky: I never thought you were a pretentious loser. 

Ben: Oh, neither does she.  She just thinks I looked like one. My grandmother said it made me look like a samurai.  Claudia told her we don't live in feudal Japan.  (laughs)  Also, I'd probably chop off my own leg if I swung a katana.  


Boudicca stops Tris as she crosses the dining room.  Draco and Leia, who should be in school, are with her.  Leia is crying.

Boudicca: Where's Zenobia?

Tris: She's in the back, flirting with the Rhees.  I'll get her.

Boudicca: Hurry, please.  It's an emergency. 


******

State University, Doll County campus 


Phoebe: I know you, you work at Sundance.  My brother gave you a hard time when he was going through his jerkass phase.  

Whitney: Yes.  But Ryan apologized and has been very nice since.  Are you Phoebe or Sylvia?

Phoebe: Sylvia graduated.  She works for the county parks service now.  I'm doing a mixed major, focusing on the paranormal.  You? 

Whitney: I haven't decided.  I'm still surprised I'm even going to college.  


Paris: I hope everyone downloaded the syllabus without any trouble.  If there was an issue, let me know and I'll get you a hard copy.  I do not allow deviation from the syllabus for any reason and expect everyone to participate in discussions, following the guidelines included within.   

Someone knocks on the classroom door and he commands them to enter, clearly annoyed.


Paris: You're interrupting my lecture.  What is it?

Zenobia: If you'd answer your phone.... you know what?  I'm not going to fight with you.  We need to talk privately. 

Paris: Now? 

Zenobia (bursts into tears): Please, Daddy, it's urgent. 









2 comments: