Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Lies and Gossip

 Zenobia and Boudicca have been summoned to Judge's Chambers.



Judge: It is unusual for me to speak directly with witnesses, but both attorneys have agreed provided they are present.  What I want isn't evidence, per se.  It's context to help me decide on sentencing. Both of you had obvious reactions to your father's testimony, which intrigues me. 

Zenobia: If Mom knew about my van, she wouldn't have kept quiet.  She would have told me and encouraged me to prosecute the thief.  If there'd been drugs in it, she'd have seen to it I was prosecuted. She was very into teaching us that actions have consequences. 

Boudicca: I'm beginning to think Dad needs psychiatric help.  That entire scenario sounds more like him protecting the family name than anything she would have done.  

Zenobia:  You were always more forgiving than me.  The man is a liar, plain and simple. 

Andre: Your Honor, I have to object.  Miss Malfoy is accusing my client of perjury.

Judge: Objection noted.  Is there anything else you'd like me to consider? 


Boudicca:  He's always been more concerned with the family's public image than with our own feelings.  He wanted to legally disown Zenobia a long time ago, but Mom wouldn't hear of it.  Personally, I think he's the one who hid the vehicle away.  Whether he's lying or delusional I'll leave to the experts. 


Zenobia: His first-born was supposed to be a lot of things I'm not. But none of that really bears on the case, except the van.  And the question of why it was in hiding doesn't change the fact that he used it to do what he did.

Judge: I'll take Boudicca's advice and consult with the professionals already on the case.  Thank you for your time. ladies. 

**** 

As a result of this meeting, the keytar player for Sarcastic Fringehead is late for rehearsal. 


Zenobia: Thanks for waiting, guys.  Talk to me about anything that's not my dad, please! 



Whitney: Finnick was telling us he doesn't think Maddie Sulu needs guitar lessons and Nakoma wants to punch Esperanza in the nose.

Tanner: I wanna punch Esperanza in the nose.  Just because she gets you so worked up.  

Whitney: I just worry that she might be right.  Even just a little. 

Tanner: Well, she ain't right.  If I had a problem with our relationship, I'd talk to you about it.  



Nakoma: It's not just you, anyway.  She's spreading tales about Finnick and Mattie, too.  Among others. 

Zenobia: It's just gossip.  Do you have any ideas how many times the gossip mill's had me pregnant?  

Nakoma: Mattie is a minor.  Finnick could get arrested. 

Zenobia: Nobody's gonna get arrested based on gossip.  Investigated, maybe, but not arrested. 















No comments:

Post a Comment