Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2022

For The Children Part Two

 At Sulu's Greenhouse 



Mattie: What happened at the lawyer's?  We all but ran home from school.  Almost forgot to get DD from the daycare, even!  

Bobby:  Is it a brother for me?!  Is it?! 

Sulu: I told Lynch she shouldn't make you go to school today, that you'd be too excited. (dramatic pause)  We're adopting a boy about Anakin's age.  His name is Rayford.  Bobby, he'll have to share your room, but I think you're close enough in age for that to work. 

Vivica: Me and Mattie could share.  Mattie even said it's okay. 

Sulu: You'll share with DD once she starts sleeping through the night.  No need to cram three people in one room.


Bobby: YAY I gots a new brother! 

Vivica: He's my new brother, too, you poopy head! 

Bobby: You already gots a brother - me! 

****
At The Tor, Charlotte and Batgirl are relaxing on the penthouse balcony.  Batgirl is telling her sister about a new cashier at the grocery when Charlotte's phone goes off.


Charlotte: I don't believe it!  Kayden agreed! 

Batgirl: He's giving you custody? 

Charlotte: Oh, no, I made an offer I thought he'd never accept.  My children can't get their money until they are 21 if I relinquish custody.  Well, if Billy passes away before then, you know.  I thought for sure he'd decline and my lawyer could use that against him as we went forward. 

Batgirl: I guess he does have motives besides the money.  


Charlotte: He's going to brainwash them and get the money then.

Batgirl: I know you were never particularly maternal and you only had them for Billy's sake, but you're so... distant.  With the internet and telephones, there's no reason you can't be part of their lives even from here. 

Charlotte: I don't know how to deal with kids.  You've seen me with yours. 

Batgirl: I can help you with that.  Just sign custody over and follow my advice.  By the time they're grown, Mary-Kate and Max will at least like you.  You don't want to end up like our mom, do you? 

Charlotte (angry): Don't you dare compare me to her.  She deserved everything she got.  Or didn't get. 

*****

Airport, somewhere west of Barbieville.


Malachi: Are you waiting for the Barbieville plane?  Me and my mommy are going to live there.

Rafe:  Yeah, I'm getting adopted by a family there. Do you know anyone there? 

Malachi: Just my grandparents and my uncle.  Are you an orphan?

Rafe (reading from his tablet):  Not no more.  I've got a new dad, a new mom, a brother, and three sisters. 



Malachi: Mommy!  This boy is going to live in our town!  Can he sit with us on the airplane? 

Diana: The plane has assigned seats, but maybe someone will trade if you ask nicely.  

Malachi: He said his new family is named Sulu.  Do we know anybody named Sulu? 

Diana (to Rafe): Adoption? (He nods) That's probably Hikaru - I can't imagine the parents adopting at their age.  They have to be in their sixties by now, if not older.  As I recall, they are very nice people.  

Malachi: Rafe's mommy and daddy went to heaven, just like my daddy, so he had to go live in the orphanage til somebody bought him. I'm happy this guy did, cause now I'm gonna have a friend as soon as we get there. 

Rafe: That's not really how it works, but I'm happy, too.  (winks at Diana) It sucks at the orphanage. 


Note to readers: Charlotte's kids live on Facebook page Our Toy Story - album Nearly Famous 







No comments:

Post a Comment