Pages

Monday, July 18, 2022

A Knock-off Rusty?

WARNING NEKKID DOLL 


 For those of you who are new here, or somehow out of the loop:  This is Rusty.


Rusty is the redheaded My Size Barbie that I wanted since 1992 and found a few years ago, at a local flea market, for ten whole big dollars.  She was wearing an original outfit, the bridal gown, but some accessories were missing.  Needless to say, I was THRILLED.   Rusty came home with me that day and has been my plastic daughter ever since.  

A chunk had been cut out of her hair, which I evened into a shaggy bob, but other than that damage was minimal.


Mark on one arm, presumably Sharpie.


A thin layer of nail polish on the eyes.  I assume someone tried to change her eye color.

*******************

Tonight my neighbor informed me that there's a doll "about this big" in the dumpster.  I called him a fibber (I had taken out trash about an hour before) and told him I didn't much care anyway unless it was a redhead.  He said the doll in question was a redhead.  He's yanking my chain, I thought.  He knows about Rusty and is just trying to get me to look so he can point at me and giggle.

"If you go out there and find a redhead doll of that size in the dumpster, I'll give you a dollar."  Guess what he did?  I'll give you a hint... I'm short a dollar. 


(Not my picture) 
(Not the actual doll in question)

Turns out, Jakks Pacific has a line of 32 inch Disney Princesses.  The current selling price is around 30 bucks, way less than the triple digits Mattel was asking in the 90s for Rusty.  But since it done costed me a buck, I figured I'd check the doll out and at least do a side-by-side comparison.

I brought Anna inside and stripped her in the bathtub - always the place for cleaning second hand toys that are too big for the sink.  This is what I found:


Her entire body below a black Sharpie "choker" is painted chalk white.  She's wearing a Duct Tape diaper.  Any value to a collector just tanked.  (The body mold does look very similar to Rusty's.) And when I removed the duct tape...


Someone made a valiant effort of replacing a broken-off leg.  I'm not sure what the blue is, but there's also a nice thick layer of hot glue.  I gave up at this point.  I'm not going to clean her up even enough for the planned comparison - she's going back into the dumpster as soon as I post this. 

I'm hoping the clothes she had on will fit Rusty, so I get something out of my dollar besides standing corrected on the existence of a redhead doll "about this big" in the dumpster.  

Just a funny lil story for y'all, really.  Enjoy. 





 







No comments:

Post a Comment