Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Mrs. Moneybags: Dinner, Dancing, and a Dropout

 Rayshawn takes each of the three remaining competitors out for a night of dinner and dancing, testing the chemistry between himself and each of them.  The two others will stay with Marty so he can do the same (clearly on a different level).  



Gwen: I was beginning to wonder if we were going to get to the man/woman thing.  So far, it's been more about The Point and Marty. 

Rayshawn: Well, there's a method to my madness, you know.  I have to filter out the ones who want caviar and private jets because I'm just not that kind of guy.  Been there, done that, with Marty's mom.   What I've exposed you ladies to is pretty much what life as Mrs. Lucas would be like. 

Gwen: You don't just toss the money at an investment and expect it to grow, you get in there and get your hands dirty.   I'm the same way, kind of, but my investments are teenage brains. 


Rayshawn: What's important to you?  In the big picture? 

Gwen: My students, my sister, and my niece.  Not always in that order, but those are the top three.  Teachers can change the world, if the world would get out of our way and let us!  I bet you have some teacher in your past who impacted you and helped shape the man you are today. 

*******
Doreen takes in the luxury of the five-star restaurant with childlike wonder. 


Doreen: I hope you don't think I'm an idiot.  I've just never been in this kind of place before. 

Rayshawn: Never? 

Doreen: Well, maybe my Prom.  And thanks for helping me decipher that menu.  I would have never guessed that description was a pot pie!  

Rayshawn: They have to make it as pretentious as humanly possible.  (rolls his eyes)  I've never been a fan of all this frou-frou stuff, but I thought this would be a good way for us to talk relatively privately.  

Doreen: I figured it was needed sometimes, in your work.  You don't want your wife to embarrass you at important functions.  


Doreen: Sorry, I'm not a very good dancer.  

Rayshawn: Out of practice, all those years of being a mom and teaching kindergarten. 

Doreen: Oh, my husband was never much of a dancer.  We met at a college dance his friends had badgered him into attending.  He decided to chat up the wallflowers.

Rayshawn: I find it hard to believe you were a wallflower. 

Doreen: I never was the tall willowy type that gets asked to dance.  If I was in a movie, I'd be the gregarious friend of the tall willowy girl. 

******

Seven tries to pretend she isn't impressed by the glamor around her, but she is.


Seven: I have to ask, it's been driving me crazy.  Who is Charlotte? I thought she was a producer of something, but... 

Rayshawn (chuckles):  Once upon a time, there were two wealthy men, Billy and Rayshawn.  Billy was Rayshawn's mentor, both in and out of the office.  They met Charlotte Gordon, who flat-out told them that if they weren't rich, she'd have no interest.  Billy eventually married her.  Rayshawn married a gal who swore her undying devotion, rich or poor.  Fast forward a few years... Rayshawn lost a lot of money in his divorce and Billy's still married even though he's in a coma.  

Seven: Charlotte is your mentor's gold-digging wife? 

Rayshawn: She prefers the term social climber.  I butt heads with Charlotte a lot, but she's honest and she really does honor her vows.  She's never cheated, she's given him everything he asked for, and makes sure he has good medical care.  


Rayshawn:  Wow, you are an excellent dancer. 

Seven: And no lessons!  Well, not formal ones.  I had a school friend that took lessons and she taught the whole crew.  Once upon a time, we were going to be the next Destiny's Child.   Then teenage drama happened and the band broke up. 

******
Elimination time. The Lucas fellows have conferred, tallied up the points, and now they face the ladies. 


Rayshawn: There's been a bit of confusion among the viewers about the prizes.  When I give the thousand dollars for each week you made it and air fare home, I'm not actually giving money for air fare - it's a plane ticket.  Just want to clarify that before we get started.

Marty: I was confused, too! 


Rayshawn: Seven, you get a one from Marty.  He says you're still trying too hard.  Just relax, girl.  Be yourself. You got a three from me.  I felt our date was a big success.  And those dance moves!  That brings you to a total of 31.



Rayshawn: Doreen, you got a three from Marty.  He says you're great fun but also make him behave.  I gave you a two.  I found you to be good company, even if you were a bit intimidated by the atmosphere.  Your new score is 38.


Gwen: Before you say anything, I need to -- I can't do this.  I volunteer to be eliminated.  


Doreen: Gwen, what are you doing?  Why? 

Seven: Wait, what? 

Gwen: Look, when  I started this, a friend of mine compared it to prostitution.  I entered anyway, honestly hoping that if I won, there'd be at least a spark between us.  But there isn't.  You have a spark with Seven.  You have a spark with Doreen.  But if I continue, if I win... I'm afraid my friend was right.  It would feel like prostitution because, frankly, there's no spark between us.  


Rayshawn: What do we do now? 

Charlotte: Well, there is a clause that lets her drop out, but if you continue the scoring the way you have, Seven's going to be too far behind to catch up.  

Marty: Last round ain't by points anyway.  Points are just up to this round. 

Charlotte: Well, I guess I don't need to print out a plane ticket then.  Gwen doesn't need one because she's a local. 


Rayshawn: Well, Gwen, I can't argue with your spark comment because that's why you only scored one from me.  Except I was going to use the word "chemistry".  I've enjoyed your company, and you sure made an impact on Marty's vampire pirate. 

Marty: He's a zombie.  And so is the chicken. 

Gwen (chuckling): Oh, lordy, I've created a monster.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment