Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Musings

I wonder sometimes what toy companies are thinking.  The entire reason behind any business is to make money but it seems they aren't doing what they should in order to do so.  Yes, people will pay ten bucks for a doll with the standard five points of articulation and Vapid Face.  But they will pay more for full articulation and a face with personality.  I'm no expert, but the adage "spend money to make money" exists for a reason. 

And then there's the larger world of the dolls.  Very few people, of any age, are satisfied with just a doll.  They want things for the doll.  Those things should also be well-made.  Solid items that stand up to rough play because even if you only display the dolls, stuff happens.  Children and pets alone can wreak havoc by accident.  One of the terms my minions got used to hearing when a toy broke was "it pops".  As in pops back together. 

Then there's the really rough play.  Oops, they drove off a cliff.  Nine car pile-up in the hallway.  And it ain't just boys who do that stuff.  DEATH TO GENDER ROLES  (Oops, sorry... I digressed)  Very few people play with dolls as intended. Dolls get up to all kinds of non-sanctioned shenanigans. 

The biggest selling doll lines are largely set in a high school - Monster High, Ever After High, whatever school the Descendants attend - and I think that's where Mattel messed up with Barbie. For all of her roots as a "teenage fashion model" the last time she went to High School (officially) was in the 1990s.  Even though I'm not a fan of the dolls themselves*, I love the rest of it.  School play sets!  Furniture that's not pink!   

Mattel is taking steps I like.  The new bodies and skin tones, bringing back the sisters.  The "I can be" line reminds me of "We girls can do anything" from back in the day.  They've even given Skipper and Chelsea friends.  Stacie must be a loner. 

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject.  Buy what you like.  I know I do! 



*The body/head ratio is way off and the face paint is cartoonish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment