Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Finally!

I am so excited about new doll lines coming out!  For so long, we've had not much variety in the doll world - at least not the kind that appeals to me.  Barbie, of course, had the Made-To-Move line and sometimes a moderately articulated one would come along but lately the Standard Five have been, well, the standard.

That's not to say I've been languishing.  I've been able to find action figures in the right scale for Barbieville, or dolls from previous lines at places like yard sales and flea markets. Sometimes the Made-to-Move are on sale. There are even a few that have been around, but not in my area or price range.

All the dolls I'm talking about here have The Standard Five (neck, shoulders,hips) as well as elbows and knees.  Some of them have even more -- Made To Move Barbie has 22! 


I'm going to start with these handsome fellows.  The Fresh Squad is the male counterpart to The Fresh Dolls, who I'll talk about in a minute.  My favorite is Malik, the one with the braids.  Since they are fairly new and come with extra clothes, they cost a little more than most, but not ridiculously so.


The Fresh Dolls are a line designed (obviously) for girls "of color".  Even after all the progress we've made, there are still issues getting dolls that are anything but a brown-tinted but otherwise what designers call white-coded. The Fresh Dolls are an excellent way to fill that market gap. Some of these gals can be had for less than ten dollars!  

Bonus points if you can identify Froggy.



The WWE Superstars are Barbie-scaled versions of female wrestlers.  I've managed to get my mitts on Becky Lynch and Eva Marie.  Neither cost me more than fifteen bucks.  There are lots more in the line than pictured here and I love them!  They remind me of the Wonder Woman dolls... a line I neglected to mention in my opening.  I apologize, Amazons.



The Wild Hearts Crew.  These just hit the shelves!  They're carrying on the Monster High "Be yourself" credo, but with relatively normal size noggins. You can even find the Skullette hiding in the fashions.  Each gal has a distinct personality and there is a variety of body shapes. I think my favorite is Charlie Lake, she of the Pegasus shirt, followed closely by UFO chaser Kenna Roswell.   


The Comfy Disney Princesses from Ralph Breaks The Internet.  Articulation and the clothes more than make up for the unfortunate Disney tendency toward Vapid Face.  My favorites here (because of their clothes, frankly) are Tiana and Pocahontas.   


Last but not...  well, honestly...last and least.  The Disney Descendants.  I've gotten two on sale and used them for donor bodies.  That noggin is just a bit too big for my tastes, although a face with enough personality might make up for it.  

None of the photos in this post are mine, all came from the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment