Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Family and Flowers

Pike and Rose-Grace get a few moments alone, not an easy task with two careers and eight children.


Pike: How was your day?

Rose-Grace: That's the best line you have?

He goes in for the kiss... and her phone rings.

Pike: Ignore it. 

Rose-Grace: That's my Baptiste ring tone.  They only call for emergencies.


Rose-Grace: What's happened?  

Man on the phone: Baptiste Family Reunion this summer.  Can you bring Orlando's girls? 

Rose-Grace: I can't, but if you can arrange a ride from the airport and a couch to sleep on, I don't see why they can't go on their own.  E-mail me the details and I'll book them a flight.

Man: Aren't they a bit young for that? 

Rose-Grace:  They're in their early teens now.

Man: Damn, time flies.  You okay with them crashing at my place?  A single man and all? 

Rose-Grace: If I didn't trust you, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

*****

One floor below


Tanner: So this dude sent "My Bad" flowers? 

Nakoma: Actually, the card said it was a case of mistaken identity.  

Finnick: What does that mean?  He meant to send them to you?  Or Pocahontas's secretary?

Nakoma: They were addressed to the owner of the park.  Pocahontas thinks they might have been meant for Mom.  But she's been dead for over a year.  

Finnick: Weird, but I'm kind of glad.  Anyone with half a brain knows Pocahontas should be with John, if anybody.  Now that he's working at the park, she can't avoid him, and I'm picking up some vibes.

Tanner: We keep inventing reasons to send him to her office.  Yesterday Albus sent him to get some paperwork from her that he already had.  (pretends to be embarrassed)  Oops. 

****

And half way across the county


Charlotte (into phone): He's been admitted to Doll County Hospital until it's over.  Send an e-mail updating his children.  

Hank walks by, headed for the sushi bar, and catches Charlotte's eye as he passes.  

Charlotte (into phone): I don't pay you to moralize.  My dinner companion just joined me at the table and she'll do enough of that for both of you.


They don't settle in to talk until they have food and drinks.

Batgirl: What brings you back to town?  I thought you were never coming back.

Charlotte:  Don't be stupid.  The goal has always been to return and make this town pay for what it did to me. To us, but you certainly seem content as a day laborer's wife. 

Batgirl: We struggle financially sometimes, especially with three kids, but we're happy and that's my priority.  Joe's never been what the rest of the family thinks he is. 

Charlotte:  My reasons for disapproving of Joe are nothing like Mom and Dad's.  I'm no racist. 

Batgirl: If you were a racist, I wouldn't be sitting here.  (pause) Are you the widow Jackson now?  

Charlotte: Not quite yet.  I've brought him to Doll County for the end. 

Batgirl: Is he taking too long?

Charlotte (ignoring that): I've taken the penthouse apartment at The Tor.  Splendid location with a lovely view of the lake.  

Batgirl: I'll bring the girls by.  They'd love to meet their cousins. 

Charlotte: Mary and Max are summering with their brothers before going to boarding school.  (Points discretely at Hank.) By the way, who is that man?  He looks so familiar to me. 

Batgirl: Hank Higgins?  He just moved here, but a lot of people have said the same thing.  I even keep thinking I should know him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment