Pages

Friday, April 10, 2020

Spider, Shoppers, and Silver Stream

Albus is out in Witch's Cove looking for damage from last night's storm.  


Albus (to the spider):  Mother Nature did a number on you, didn't she?  I hope I beat the birds to all your shiny bits.  (laughs) It's so quiet with no one on the grounds but me, I'm talking to a robot spider, but it's all right as long as you don't reply.  


Albus:  Hmm.  Well, this is new.  


Albus:  Now look here:  If you slide off this roof and give me a coronary, I will rip off your remaining legs and beat you to death with them.  The last thing I need is for her to catch me working off the clock and barefoot!  (Thinks for a moment.)  Well, I guess I'll have to tell her I was out here...  

*****

At the grocery, Batgirl meets Pike when he arrives.


Batgirl: I got your email about the new hires.  Ryan Guinness?  

Pike:  Ryan's a changed man.  Tanner even spoke in his favor, and you know that's something.

Batgirl:  I notice most of them are Midna's people.  Good of you to help them out.


Pike: Good of them to help me out.  (laughs)  Seriously, though...  Frodo and Whitney declined because they live with little ones.  Esmeralda's got her hands full at home, since Marcus is practically living at the hospital, and Midna is helping the Changs with deliveries.  Of the four left, only Jeremiah has never run a register. 

Batgirl:  We really don't have time for the real training.  I'll give the rest an overview in case we need them there.  Mostly we're gonna need them for stocking and loading the pick-up orders in trunks.  

Pike: Use the waitresses and Ryan before enlisting Pern.  She's very out of practice.  Oh, and I've parked The Tank around back.  It'll be my residence for the duration and since Ryan's folks are elderly, I've offered him a bunk.  

******

Mace trudges into Rose-Grace's bedroom and makeshift office.


Mace: Rosie, I need help with something.

Rose-Grace:  Since you got that call the other day and have been moping, I rather expected this.  What is it?  One of your friends from the apartment?

Mace: No.  It's Silvie.  Silver Stream.

Rose-Grace: She's infertile?

Mace:  No, Rosie, she's dead.  Something with her intestines...  (crying) I'm not sure, the breeder was using all these medical terms, but how am I gonna tell your babies?  


Rose-Grace: The same way always you told me.  But this time I'll be holding your hand instead of Mom.  We'll get through this, Daddy, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment