Pages

Monday, April 13, 2020

Easter in Lockdown


In the lull between Easter dinner and dessert (because who has room for dessert right away?) the residents of Windu Acres, Barbieville, chat.  They all pretend not to notice the dogs feasting on the little ones' mess.  


Rose-Grace: I'm torn between being mad at you for breaking your self-imposed exile and being glad you're here. 

Pike:  I showered before coming and washed my hands when I arrived.  Ryan and I have been wiping down the interior of The Tank at least once a day.  Ryan said his sister's gonna bring him dinner, but he's staying in.  He's really worried about his folks. 

Rose-Grace: You can take him some of our leftovers as well.  God knows we have an army here, but I made enough for two armies!  


Mace: You be glad he's here, Rosie, and I'll be mad at him.  I'm old.

Taylor: That's why you and the babies are way over here.  We're being super careful.

Stacie: Yeah, we're even gonna wipe down everything Dad may have touched before letting y'all leave the table.  I mean, the only rooms he's been in are the entry hall, the kichen, and the downstairs bathroom.

Mace (laughs): Oh, yeah, little girl?  You think you can stop me from getting up?  

Stacie: You aren't that dumb, Grandpa.


Rose-Grace: Our other usual guests will be calling us for an on-line conference call.

Finnick: Wait.  You heard from Mom? 

Rose-Grace: Oops, that part was supposed to be a surprise.  Her idea, I swear! 

*****

The Conference Call! 


Candy: Hey, guys.  Sorry to worry you so much, but there was a cluster- I mean, some trouble with me getting back into the country.   I'm quarantined, obviously, but I'm not sick or hurt or anything. 

Stacie: You look different. 

Fred: You look way prettier now, Mommy.

Candy: My green stripe is gone and I've been working out a lot.  I always meant to start, and this whole mess is as good an excuse as any.  By the time I come home, Fred won't be the only one of my babies I can lift!

Tanner: You gotta catch me first. 

Finnick: She'll be able to, dummy.  She's looking like one of them lady MMA fighters!


Morgan:  You look great, Candy.  I always thought you needed a little meat on your bones. 

Candy: You're sheltering in place at your folks' house?  And you haven't killed each other yet? 

Lee (laughs):  She gets outta line, we send her to her couch.  

Morgan: Mom's helping me with teaching on-line.  I was already making so many rookie mistakes before this virus hit!  Thank God she's a sub now and doesn't have a course load of her own! 

Talk then becomes the usual large-family chaos.  

HAPPY EASTER 
to all my Barbieville followers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment