Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Reopening


Brent and Daisy video chat, both enjoying the summer weather.


Daisy: Oh, she's almost good as new.  We're concerned there might have been damage to her vocal cords from the intubation, but other than that, she's good.

Brent: Other than that?  The girl's a singer!  Damage to her vocal cords could end her singing career!

Daisy: She's also an actress and she's prepared to change her path a bit if needed.  We're just glad she's pulled through.  But I'm calling you about something else.  

Brent: Please don't tell me one of you two are sick now.

Daisy:  No, we're healthy.  Didn't you mention something the other day about a new television station there in Barbieville?  Are they looking for journalists? 

Brent: Kyra's ex has started WDLC.  Have you decided to finally get out of the city?

Daisy: You know we were already dealing with the homophobia and Bertie getting eyed by Immigration every time she turned around.  We almost lost our daughter to the pandemic and now race riots are going on again.  We're just done.

Brent: I can get you William's information, so Bertie can send a resume.  I'll put in a good word for her.  William and I get along much better than I expected.

Daisy:  Do you know any of the other WDLC people?  Any possible problems there?

Brent: The only journalist I know is Becky Weasley.  She walked out of college graduation and into a job at WDLC, but I'm not sure what she'll be doing there.

Daisy: She was the nice KBV girl, right?  Not the psycho? 


************************

Ben steps in to his boss's office at the end of Pike's shift, catching him just as he clocks out.


Ben: Just wanted to let you know my raise went through.  Showed up on this week's paycheck.  (laughs) Between me and Becky, there's going to be a mass exodus from Lakeshore Townhomes.  We both now exceed the income requirements, so we gotta find new homes.  


Pike:  I got all the paperwork done on Midna's crew going back there.  Ryan asked to stay on at least until Witch's Cove opens back up.  He even asked about Phoebe working here.  I guess that paranormal degree she's after takes more years than most.

Ben: You can't just major in "Paranormal Studies".  She's going to end up with a few loosely related degrees that touch on the paranormal.  But yeah, she's a student for several more years.  

*************************


John gets a surprise visitor at the day care center.  He's getting things ready for reopening.


John: Hey, what brings you by?  Did you finally come to tell me you're looking for other work?


Sylvia:  They're already checking my references?  (He nods.)  You knew this job was temporary for me.

John:  I'm happy for you.  You get to do work you've always wanted to do.  

Sylvia:  Who called you?  Are you allowed to tell me?

John: Both the state and the county.  Oh, and the nature preserve.

******************************

Mace comes into the nursery and finds Fred sobbing into his pillow.


Mace: Whoa, there, little man.  What's wrong?

Fred:  Ever thing.  Just when the doctors can handle the killer germ, then people start making fires and stealing and busting store windows and.... 

Mace:  That stuff's got nothing to do with the killer germ.

Fred: It's worser than the killer germs and I wish I could make them stop.  It don't matter what color skin we gots, we're all people.


A little while later, Mace strolls into the twins' room bearing a protest sign. 

Mace: Get dressed.  We're taking a nice long walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment