Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Overlook Formal

Father's Day.  Evening.  The Overlook, event venue at Witch's Cove, reopens after remodeling with a formal ball. 


Nakoma: Welcome to the Overlook, Ms Jones!  Who's your friend? 

Rallee: Nakoma, this is Susan Anthony.  She'll be taking over as principal of the High School.  Susan, this is Nakoma Smith, one of the owners of Witch's Cove.  

Nakoma: Nice to meet you, Ms Anthony.  I think you'll like it here, at least until my little brother reaches the ninth grade.  (to Rallee) I was stunned to hear Dean resigned.  Is it true he got a offer from some fancy private school out west? 

Rallee: East, actually.  I hate to lose him, but we get Ms Anthony, so its a win/win situation.  

Susan: It was fortunate that this event was the same day as my arrival in town.  Superintendent Jones insisted upon my coming, to meet most of the town's leaders.  


Pocahontas: Rose-Grace, how did you escape your husband looking like that?  (To Maren) I don't believe we've met.  I'm Pocahontas Smith and this is my sister Nakoma.  We own the Cove. 

Maren: Maren North.  I was hired to run the Barbieville Museum after Helena's death.  Terrible thing. 

Rose-Grace: Maren's young, but she's fully qualified and has excellent references. 

Maren (blushing): I'm something of a prodigy.  Graduated high school at 12 and dove right into college.  I'm quite driven. 


Susan: Do you have any family enrolled at the high school? 

Maren: Not yet.  That is, my younger sisters haven't been registered.  They'll be arriving later this week with my brother.  

Susan: I look forward to meeting them.


John: The mayor's got a whole brood.  (To Pocahontas) How many of them are in high school now?  Two? 

Pocahontas: I think just Taylor.  Maybe Nikki, too.  

John: We can ask Finnick if we can tear him away from Nakoma.  (To Susan) He's one of the brood in question.  

Susan: Don't bother the young couple.  


Nakoma: I can't believe Tanner and Whitney didn't come.  What's wrong with them, anyway? 

Finnick: He's right.  Even if he proposed to her all public like you suggested, Esperanza's still gonna think what she wants.  Want me to propose to you all public?  I'll do it. 

Nakoma: No, you idiot.  Get back to me when you finish trade school, though.  


The sisters spot more guests arriving and hurry to greet them.  

Pocahontas: Dean quit?  The Mellarks are moving?  What the hell, girl? 

Nakoma: I figured Midna told you, since she's lost her bookkeeper.  Peeta is moving in with the Carsons, but both the girls are going with Dean and Violet. One of the Rhee boys did bookkeeping for their parents' restaurant, so he'll be taking Violet's job. 

Pocahontas: She did mention Violet had given her two-weeks notice, but Violet's such a crabby thing, I figured she just got fed up with Midna.  Didn't know the whole family was skipping town.  (To the new arrivals)  Welcome to The Overlook!


Finnick: Why are you looking so sour?  

Albus: I hate all this fancy stuff.  Tried to bail, but the girls said I had to be here as head of Rides and Maintenance. 

Finnick: Relax, man.  Enjoy the scenery.  Nakoma is looking hot as hell. 

Albus: Nakoma's practically my kid, you sicko.  But you're right.  Lots of eye candy walking around here tonight.  You're looking pretty good, come to think of it. 

Finnick: Stay in your lane, old man.  I'm straight and spoken for.  


John: Finally I get you on the dance floor.  

Pocahontas: This is a work thing for me, you know.  I really shouldn't be taking time to enjoy my handsome husband.  Even if he does look much better since he quit going to Albus's barber.  

John: Albus has a barber?  (both laugh) I was due, though.  The long hair was easier, but I look safer to the parents that trust me with their kids.  And I can tell you like it short.  (whispers in her ear) 

Pocahontas: Later, I promise. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment