Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Another Sulu

 The Sulu family is at the airport.



Bobby: Is that our new Sissy's plane?  Is she here now? 

Sulu: I think it is.  Now, remember, be on your best behavior.  We don't want her jumping back on the plane and running away! 

Vivica (giggles): I'll tackle her!  We been playing football at recess!  


Mattie:  Mr. and Mrs. Sulu?  I'm Matilda.

Lynch: No need for the formality.  If you aren't comfortable with Mom and Dad, I'm Lynch and he's Sulu.  These little monsters crowding around our knees are Bobby and Vivica, your new siblings. (To the little ones) Back off and give her some space. 

Bobby: Daddy said you was bringing a guitar.  Where's it at? Can you play it good? 

Mattie (to Bobby): I've just started lessons and it'll be waiting for us at Baggage Claim.  (To Sulu and Lynch.)  I hope there's someone who can give me lessons here?  

Lynch: We've been asking around, but no luck so far.  This all happened so fast!  


Vivica: How come you got such a teeny suitcase?

Bobby: I dint know we was adopting a growed-up lady. 

Mattie (laughs): I've got a few years before I'm an adult. I'm just tall. And the teeny suitcase holds my book.  I'm really fussy about taking care of my books.  (Looks up as Sulu and Lynch return from conferring with the flight crew.)  All set? 

Lynch: All set.  Just had to prove we really are the people that are supposed to be picking you up. 

****
On the way home, they stop at Sunburst for dinner. 


Mariko: Your food will be up shortly. 

Lynch: Mariko, this is Matilda.  (The girls exchange the usual pleasantries) We contacted an agency about adopting an older child and almost instantly, they hooked us up with Matilda.  

Mariko: No offense, but you guys are nuts.  These three aren't aging you quickly enough? 

Mattie: I'm pretty sure that's why they adopted me. 

Sulu: Hey, now!  That may have been part of why we requested --- 

Mattie (laughs): I'm not complaining! It's all very Anne of Green Gables.  

Mariko: When you start school, I'll meet you at the office and show you around.  Unless Lynch already roped Taylor into doing that? 

Lynch: Taylor's in the same grade.  But thanks for offering. 


John: Just what we need. Another Sulu. 

Sulu: How'd you manage to sneak up on me? 

John: Restroom.  (To Mattie) Nice to meet ya, kid.  I'm your uncle John. 

Sulu: Don't confuse her, she just got here. 

John (pretends to be hurt): You didn't tell her about me? Your best bud since kindergarten?  

Sulu: Don't make me kick your ass.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment