Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Mattie Settles In

 Sulu's (the local greenhouse/nursery) 



Mattie is puttering around, enjoying her first full day of work in her new family's business. The bell on the door chimes.

Mattie: I'll be right with you!  


Mattie: What can I do for you? 

Jessie: I'm Jessie Cooper, I work for Joe Montez.  I need to put in an order for a large landscaping job. 

Mattie: Oh, Su- I mean, Dad - hasn't trained me on that yet.  I'll have to call him in from the property.  

Jessie: He's on the way in.  I flagged him down from the parking lot.  You must be Mattie.  How are you settling in? 

Mattie: I like it here.  They even gave me my own room, even though I would've been fine sharing.  And the work so far has been a lot easier than what I did before.  Waitressing. 

Jessie: I know what you mean.  Joe's a contractor, so we do construction.  I go home exhausted every night, but I don't normally deal with the public.  My roomie waits tables and she - well, my former roomie, I should say.  She recently had to move back into the family home. 

Mattie:  As long as they keep their hands to themselves, I never minded the public.  It's the going home exhausted part that got to me! 


Sulu: Thanks for waiting, Jessie.  I was checking on the hives. 

Jessie: I figured as much since you looked like a snowman out there. Mattie's a nice girl. 

Sulu: We've been quite pleasantly surprised.  Adopting an older child is always a risk. 

Jessie: Did you really adopt her without ever meeting her?  

Sulu: Sort of.  We'd seen her records and met her over video chat.  Now, what's up with this huge landscaping job?  Since when does Joe do landscaping? 

****
Speaking of Jessie's former roomie, Zenobia is resting after rehearsal with Sarcastic Fringehead. 


Zenobia: He thinks I'm not going to press charges.  Said my primary duty is to family. 

Whitney: Well, my dad's an ass, but I don't think I'd -- 

Zenobia: Your dad never ran over your mom with your stolen vehicle. (pauses to collect herself)  I'm sorry, Whitney, I know your dad's done some awful things, but...  never mind, it's not a contest.  I'm just venting and probably telling you stuff I shouldn't. 

Tanner: Since our mom is the star witness? 

Finnick: Probably not supposed to tell anyone anything.  


Taylor (entering): Hey, Finnick, you wanna make a little extra money? 

Tanner: Hey!  Don't come in here during rehearsal! 

Taylor: It's been five minutes since you stopped.  I waited and y'all are hibernating in here.  (To Finnick) That girl Sulu and Lynch adopted is looking for a guitar teacher.  She said she's just getting started, but Sulu said she's been taking lessons for years, so I don't know what's up with that. 

Finnick: Let me guess.  You were showing her around school and just happened to mention that I play. 

Taylor: Something like that.  She's pretty nice.  Kinda quiet. 

Whitney: Is she pretty? 

Finnick: What the hell? Why would that matter? 

Zenobia: Because Esperanza, that's why.  Whit worries way too much about what that idiot thinks. 

Whitney: Be nice. 

Zenobia: Oh, that was way nicer than what I was thinking. 

Finnick: I'll talk to Sulu or Lynch about it, Taylor.  We should be able to arrange something. 












No comments:

Post a Comment