Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Making Plans

 Sunburst, early evening 



Whitney:  What are you guys up to tonight?  And who is this little lady? 

Peeta: We filed for an adoption, figuring we wouldn't get a kid until after the wedding.  Well, here she is!  (To Oksana)  This is our friend Whitney.  She's Tanner's girlfriend and has a little girl about your age. 

Finnick: Man, you called us down here to talk about the wedding?  Again? 

Whitney: Hey, a wedding takes a lot of planning.  You have no idea how many times we met while planning Tris's.  Probably because all Four did was show up that day.  He let her do all the work. 

Tanner:  Well, traditionally, that's how it works.  Not my fault this particular wedding has two guys! 

Whitney: Well, I certainly hope you don't think you're off the hook if we get married.  Same goes for you, Finnick.  


Oksana:  You're silly.  You can't marry both of them! 

Finnick:  My girlfriend is one of her best friends, Oksana.  (To Whitney)  Has Nakoma said something?  Because we agreed -- 

Peeta: --to wait a couple years.  For no good reason, I might add.  Nakoma is one of the wealthiest women in town and you've got a steady job.  Me and Ken are living in his mother's house! 

Finnick: Mind your own business, freeloaders.  


Ken:  Okay, we will.  I think we can make her a flower girl.  We're both coming down an aisle - side aisles instead of the center one - and this way Tommy walk with one of us as ring bearer and Oksana with the other.  You dudes of honor wait up by the altar as planned. 

Tanner: Seriously, guys, just go to Step-mom's office and have her do it there. 

Whitney:  Geez, maybe I should do all the planning if I marry you.  You're about as romantic as a kick in the shins.  

******

At another table, Dionne and Maisie go over their plans.


Dionne:  We can have girls in the north wing and boys in the south.  Center area is common ground.  

Maisie (silencing her phone): That arrangement isn't going to do much to stop gay residents from doing it.  Where do we put any non-binary or trans residents?  

Dionne: Gays don't generally get accidentally pregnant.  That's the main thing I want to prevent. 

Maisie: Dionne, I know it's a mansion, but is it really big enough to house all the foster kids in this county?  Even if you make those huge third floor spaces into wards for the preadolescents, I don't see how you can pull this off.  

Dionne:  It won't be easy.  But -- wait a minute, why aren't you taking that call?


Maisie:  It's her again.  You know if I answer, she's going to guilt me into it. 

Dionne:  Give me the phone.  I'll deal with her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment