Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Afternoon In The Park

Nova has just finished a picnic lunch with her stepdaughters.  

Lottie:  Mommy's here!  I just seen her car!

Nova: Well, don't run into the parking lot after her.  You nearly got run over last time.  

Lottie: Did not!  That car stopped so far away from me!

Alex: He was only going like five miles an hour.  You got lucky.
Lara: Are you girls ready?  I've got lots of fun on the agenda.

Lottie: Mommy! 

Nova: We saved you some potato salad.  Lottie and Alex made it. 

Alex: Alex made it while Lottie talked her ear off. (as Lottie)  "Why can't we put candy in it?  Candy would make it yummier.  Mommy likes candy."

Lara: Not in my potato salad.  (laughs)  After the potato salad, for dessert.  (to Alex) Did you use Grandma's recipe?  You know that's the best kind. 

Alex: Of course.  To do otherwise is unthinkable, right, Lottie? 

Lottie: Just like the Titanic.  (Both girls giggle.) Let's go hop in Mommy's car.  I'll hold your hand and be good. 
Nova: Sorry you had to work during the reception.  We missed you. 

Lara: Me, too.  Although if that grandmother of yours was there, it might be best that I wasn't.  

Nova: She wasn't.  Still boycotting the very idea. (changes subject) You sure you're okay to keep them while we run off on our late honeymoon? 

Lara: I signed on for it when I gave birth to them, right?  Anyway, Alex is old enough to watch Lottie if I get called in.  How did the reception go? 

Nova: It was wonderful.  (checks the time) Oh, I better run.  Make the girls show you all the pictures and videos, okay?  

Lara:  I will.  Have a good time in Hawaii.  

*****

Later, Charlotte meets her sister after her appointment with the lawyer.
Charlotte: And he said that if I insist on trust funds for the kids, that might make Kaden give up the lawsuit.  He can't get to the money, he won't want to deal with them. 

Batgirl: Why are you so sure he's motivated by money?  

Charlotte: You're so naive.  Everyone is motivated by money.  You really don't -- Hey!  What the hell do you think you're doing, Hagrid?  And what the hell are you doing in Barbieville?  (Sprints away from her sister.)
Hagrid:  I'm trying to see a comet.  And I live in Barbieville. 

Charlotte slaps him, hard.

Batgirl: Stop it!  What is your problem, Charlotte?  

Charlotte: This is my brother-in-law.  I told you about him. 

Hagrid: Lady, I don't know you from Adam.  And I ain't anyone's brother-in-law.

Charlotte:  LIAR!  (tries to slap him again, but Batgirl holds her back)  You're pointing that thing right at my apartment, you answered to his name, and I recognize you.

The police arrive, much to Batgirl's relief.  She's beginning to think her sister has finally gone totally bonkers.  Lynch has things under control quickly.
Hagrid:  I think the lady's mistaken me for one of my cousins.  Very strong resemblance and lots of us are named after the same ancestor.  (To Charlotte)  Honestly, lady.  Our family reunions look like one of them movies about clones.  

Charlotte: I don't believe you.  I know Kaden sent you to -- 

Jimin: Mrs. Jackson, please, let me do the talking. 

Hagrid:  Jackson?  Oh, yeah, I got cousins named Jackson.  Kinda strange that one of them would be as rough-looking as me, though.  (whispers to Lynch) They got money. 

Batgirl: What's his full name? 

Charlotte (softly): Rubeus Hagrid Jackson.  He goes by his middle name because...

Hagrid: Because the family's overrun with Rubeuses.  (To Lynch)  I'm not gonna be pressing any charges.  Looks like my cousin's giving this lady a rough way to go and she made an honest mistake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment