Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Back To School Prep

 

Mayor Rose-Grace Pike meets with Superintendent Rallee Jones to make a public statement.


Rose-Grace:  Superintendent Jones, welcome.  I'll give the floor to you right away.  The citizens of Barbieville School District have been waiting for our decision since the pandemic began.  

Rallee: It's not been an easy one, that's for certain!  It really is a no win situation, I'm afraid. 



Rallee (to the assembled press):  Even though Barbieville has been fortunate during the pandemic - thanks to the cooperation of our citizens - facing the coming school year is a challenge.  Marcus Eaton, director of Doll County Hospital and Affiliated Medicine, has met with educators and toured the schools in an effort to create the best plan possible.  (checks her notes)  For the sake of preventing illness, the remote learning we implemented in the spring is ideal, but the simple truth is that it creates a burden on parents.  Many of Barbieville's families are unable to work from home or to quit their jobs. 

Reporter: Shouldn't the safety of their children be more important than their jobs? 

Rallee (sharply): It is quite difficult to keep a home without an income.  Homeless children are hardly safe. (ignoring murmurs from the press)  We will be continuing the remote learning for those families who prefer it.  I personally suggest taking advantage of that option if possible.  However, for those families who need or prefer in-person schooling, we will be opening the buildings.  This hybrid approach is only made possible by the extreme dedication of our teachers, including those who are usually substitutes.  We are aware that social distancing guidelines cannot be met perfectly, but we are doing what we can, and strict mask procedures will be in place.  Further information is provided on the school board's website.  

*****

At Windu Acres, that evening.


Stacie: Why's my stuff gotta be what moves?  

Nikki: Because your stuff is easiest to move and it takes up the most room.  Besides, you'll get to use Grammy's sewing table with us.  I can teach you how to sew when Taylor isn't working on a project for Home Ec. 

Stacie: I gotta go help Grandpa in the barn.  You better not throw anything away.


McG: Why does that child think you'd throw her things away? 

Nikki:  We did before.  It was pretty rude of us, but we've apologized a million times.  It was a bunch of toys she never played with.

Taylor: She's a hoarder, I swear.  Orlando and Samara play with that dollhouse more than she does.  Anakin plays with the dolls more than she does, the weirdo.  

McG: There is nothing wrong with boys liking dolls. Maybe he'll be the next Giorgio Armani.

Taylor: I hope not!  He might mess with Grammy's sewing stuff!  

Nikki: I'm so glad Grandpa Mace still had it.  Grammy made all Mom's clothes, back in the day.  (to McG) Did you ever sew?

McG: I mend things.  (hears someone calling her) I better see what that's about.


Candy:  How do you feel about the school thing?  As a mother and as an educator?

McG: Oh, dear.  Candy, it really isn't my place to say anything.  

Candy: Just your opinion.  You know I've always respected your opinion.  And they want mine even though I'm not the custodial parent. 

McG: You're the mother of four of them.  Well, two of them are grown, but still --  Honestly, this virus is horrible, but it really doesn't seem to spread much differently than influenza.  They've been taught the "Germ Rules", so I honestly believe the only one you need to worry about is Fred, since he's so young and might forget the precautions.  

Candy: Even adults forget the precautions.  That's how you ended up with so many grandchildren. 

McG: Ah, but my grandchildren are wiser than their parents were.  (leaves, chuckling) 


Candy: She's got me there.  I'm just scared, you guys.  I've had assignments where I saw what this virus can do and I hate to think of any of my babies going through that.  Or yours, Rose-Grace.  

Rose-Grace: Mine are yours and vice versa.  Co-parenting, right? 

Pike: We've had no cases in Barbieville, and only a few in the county.  Marcus says the Med Center is ready.  And I've been telling you for years, we can only do so much to protect them.  (to Rose-Grace) One of the things we fought a lot about when we were married.  She's very over-protective.

Rose-Grace: Well, I suggest we leave it up to the kids who can grasp the enormity of the situation.  Explain the risks and benefits of each option and let the girls decide.  Fred's the only one I'd divided on.  He's smart as a whip, but still...  he's in kindergarten. 

Candy: They walk to school, across the back pasture,  when weather permits, so we don't need to worry so much about germs on the bus.  I guess it's really gonna come down to what the girls decide.  If they go, I can't imagine telling him he can't.  

Pike: They can adopt my after-work routine.  Directly into the shower from the front door while whoever is already home wipes down their books.  (stands up)  Let's go talk to them. 


2 comments:

  1. I wanted so much the sew machin .... 🤗 .... thank you to share with us your pictures.

    ReplyDelete