Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Zenobia's Interview

Zenobia meets Lynch and Carol at the police station. 


Lynch: The vehicle used in the attacks is registered to Zenobia F. Malfoy, at The Tor.  

Zenobia: I had a green van.  Sorry, SUV.  When I graduated, my parents gifted me with a lot of money.  It was intended to be for college.  Mom told me that if I wasn't going to college, I should invest it in something career-related.  I used it to buy equipment for my band, including the SUV to drive to shows.

Carol: The band being Sarcastic Fringehead? 

Zenobia: It was a heavy metal group called Vagina Dentata.  We were going to be the next Metallica or Megadeth.  Anyway, Dad had a fit.  We had a huge fight and that was when I left.  I got a place of my own and the SUV was stolen shortly after that.  

Lynch: You never reported it stolen.

Zenobia: I did.  I can probably find my copy of the police report.   


Lynch: Against Agent Danvers's advice, I want to show you the video in question.  

Zenobia (horrified): You want me to watch someone being hit by a car?  The same car that killed my mother?  Oh, my god.  Someone killed Mom with my car?! 

Carol: The only reason you aren't under arrest right now is that video.  The driver is obviously not a petite blue-haired woman.  

Lynch: Will you at least look at a still from the video?  

Zenobia (tearful): Just the still, please.  


Zenobia (gasps): Is that Dad?  What is going on? 

Lynch: Is there any reason he'd want to harm these women?  And use your vehicle to do it?  

Zenobia: Oh, he's not liked me from the moment I came out of Mom without a penis.  Add bisexuality and a total lack of ambition.  Hell, he could have had the car stolen and then bribed the idiot who was mayor before Rose-Grace to make the report vanish.  Just to punish me for not being, well, Draco. 

Carol: How was your parents' marriage, Zenobia?  Did your father have problems with either of the other two victims? 

Zenobia: Everyone has wanted to run over Charlie Lake with a large vehicle.  But he probably doesn't know Candy exists.  (pause) Mom used to joke that the only way he could get out of the marriage with anything but the shirt on his back (starts crying) would be to kill her.  


After Zenobia leaves, Carol and Lynch discuss what they've learned.

Lynch: Zenobia's whole world is caving in around her and you're playing Good Cop Bad Cop?  

Carol: I'm not playing anything.  She wasn't driving, but there are so many holes in her story.  Daddy bribed the mayor?  She hasn't known where the vehicle was all this time?  

Lynch: You don't know the former mayor or Paris Malfoy.  

Carol: That's the problem with you small-town cops.  You know everyone and you let that influence your investigation.  Have you forgotten that driver could easily be James Potter?  That Zenobia could have hired someone who has a passing resemblance to her father?  Maybe she's framing him. 

****

At Lakeshore Townhomes.
 


Zenobia: Good, you're still up.  We need to talk. 

Jessie: Tris called, told me the cops were looking for you.  Was it about your mom?

Zenobia: Very about Mom.  But I don't wanna talk about that and maybe mess up the investigation.  The thing is, it's starting to look like a very real possibility that I'll have to move back to The Tor.  Or I might go to prison.  Either way, you need to know you could lose a roomie.  

Jessie: Wait, you might go to prison?  What is going on?  


No comments:

Post a Comment