Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Story 16: Lunch at the Sunburst Diner

Lunchtime on a Saturday, at the diner.  


Midna:  Sorry, I'm gonna have to stand you up for our lunch date.  Two of my people called off and you know how crazy the weekends are.

Pocahontas (clearly disappointed):  I need to talk, but it isn't urgent.  I'll stick around til after the big rush.  

Midna: Are you all right?

Pocahontas (chuckles): So far.  Go on, get your work done.  




Mariko:  Will that be all for you?  (They assure her it's fine and she hurries off to the next table.) 

Ben: I can't believe you two turned out to be KBV.  

Clara: Yeah, once Esmeralda Eaton blew us out of the water, we didn't have much choice but to make the public apology.  Gonna have to be more careful in the future. 

Becky:  What?  No, Clara, what we did was wrong.  I knew it when we started the project -- 



Clara: How naive are you?  This is how the world works, Becky. You're never going to make it big in Journalism with that attitude.

Becky: I'd rather work for the Barbieville Gazette my whole life than stab people in the back.  I'm taking Journalism to bring back unbiased, fair news media. 

Ben: You aren't sorry you got me fired?  I thought we were friends.

Clara jumps out of her seat and starts shouting at them.  


Clara: Your stupid little sister got you fired, she got us busted, she caused this whole mess!  

Becky (embarrassed): Calm down.

Clara:  Calm down, my foot!  You two can skip off together into the sunset into fairyland if you want, but I live in the real world!  (Storms out of the diner.) 


Ben:  Don't chase her down.  She's wrong and we both know it. 

Becky:  I gotta go, Ben.  I'll see you around campus? 

Ben: Sure.  You know where to find me.


After Becky pays the bill and runs out after Clara, Mariko checks on Ben.

Mariko:  Is everything all right over here?  

Ben (a bit lost): I think so.  Well, Clara spilled her drink... 

Mariko: I'll clean that up.  What else can I do?  (Ben doesn't reply, staring morosely at his burger.  Mariko cleans the spill and slips away to give him some time.)  


With the rush over, Midna joins her friend only to find someone else at their table.  

Midna: You're the last person I'd expect to see sitting with her.

Pocahontas: I thought maybe he could help with my problem.  After all, he's raising two members of the opposite sex.  

John: I don't think your problem is related to his sex.  You already knew Nakoma and she was nearly grown.  You've taken on the care of a kid you just met. 

Midna: Aren't there support groups?  

Pocahontas: None nearby for my particular problem.  There are for people raising grandchildren, for single parents, for foster parents, but I'm none of the above.  I've fallen through the cracks.

John: Well, if Midna can chat now, I'll get out of your hair.  Call me if you need me, Pocahontas.  I mean it.  (To Midna)  You're pretty much her entire support system since her mom died.  She doesn't trust me.

Midna: Not yet.  

Pocahontas (amused): Stop talking about me like I'm not here.  



When Midna has to go back into the kitchen, Pocahontas decides to leave.  She's got work to do back at the park and has already neglected it too long.  

Ben:  Excuse me.  I'm Ben Kishi. I kind of eavesdropped on your conversation and might be able to help.   We're in the same boat. 

Pocahontas: You had a nine-year-old boy dropped in your lap by fate?

Ben (laughs):  A twelve-year-old girl.  My sister Claudia.  We're both raising younger siblings of the opposite sex - I'm thinking I could help with his guy stuff and you could help with her girl stuff.  Maybe we could even put together our own support group.



Pocahontas: I'm kind of in a hurry right now, but I'm intrigued.  Can we exchange numbers? 

Ben: Absolutely.  And please don't hold my friend's earlier outburst against me. 

Pocahontas:  Anyone calls my sister stupid, I'm sure not referring to them as a friend.  The words I'd use are a few letters shorter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment