Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Live and Learn

Batgirl is enjoying her lunch break when Charlotte barges into the Employees Only area.


Charlotte: I cannot believe the gall!  They've dragged Billy's brother out of hiding! 

Batgirl: Billy has a brother?

Charlotte: God only knows what he's going to tell the lawyers.  When I was pregnant with Max, he called me the most vile names.  

Batgirl (resigned): Sit down, then, and tell me.  


Charlotte: I never mentioned him because he isn't worth mentioning.  Or wasn't until now. 

Batgirl: Honestly, I don't understand why you don't just let Mary Kate and Max go.  Gabriella's been in touch with them and they seem to be happy. You'll have a better chance at patching things up with them once they're grown. 

Charlotte: Billy's sons and brother have always hated me.  They tried to turn Billy against me and now they're taking my children.

Batgirl: They suspect you married him for his money and that you're only interested in the kids' inheritance.  (heavy sigh)  And you've always had... well, challenges, in connecting with people.  

Charlotte: You don't get it.  These are MY children.  MINE. 

Batgirl: They're people, Charlotte, not possessions.

Charlotte stares at her sister for a long moment before rising and leaving without another word.


On her way out of the grocery, she stops in her tracks when she hears someone call her hated nickname. 

Charlotte (irate): What did you call me?! 

Jeremiah: I didn't call you, Charlotte.  (nervously laughs) You don't recognize me, do you? I'm Jeremiah Russo.  Father of two now, one of which happens to be named Lottie.


Charlotte: You named your child after me?  

Jeremiah: She's actually named after her mom's grandmother.  (to Alex)  Go find Lottie.  I'm sure she's back in frozen foods.  

Charlotte: Oh, this isn't her? 

Jeremiah: This is Alex. 

Alex: You're Gabriella's aunt, right?  Charlotte Jackson?

Charlotte (to Jeremiah): I apologize for shouting at you.  Please understand, I've had a very bad day.

Jeremiah: No problem.  I have the same reaction when people call me Jerry.

*********

Phoebe is taking advantage of the unseasonably warm day.  She's researching the history of Witch's Cove, preparing for the paranormal team's work there, in the park.


Becky: Hey, I was just headed over to City Hall to help you out.   Jeremiah told me I could tag along and do a story on y'all for the university paper. 

Phoebe: I got done with everything I can't take with me.  I'll be glad to go over it with you once I get all my notes in order.  


Becky: History of Doll County?  Anything juicy in here or just a lot of land deeds? 

Phoebe: All the juicy stuff was in the newpaper archives. (stops typing)  About what Sylvia said the other day?  About Ben?  She has no idea what she's talking about.   Her ex was convinced Ben's gay because he has a man bun.  Seriously.  That's his entire basis for the assumption.

Becky: Wow.  Sylvia dodged a bullet when they broke up. 


Phoebe: She dodged a nuke when they broke up.  Anyway, I dated Ben back in the day and I can attest to his heterosexuality.  So if you are interested in him, go for it.  

Becky: Really?  You and Ben? 

Phoebe: We just didn't work out.  Not much to tell.  



****
Note to readers: Charlotte's children (Mary Kate and Max) live on Facebook page "Our Toy Story" under the album "Nearly Famous". 

2 comments:

  1. I have to get Lottie to you and that wig asap. Sorry it's taking so long. I'm semi-functional but not at full capacity.

    ReplyDelete