Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Digging For Clues

 The investigation continues.



Iggy: I tagged along with PJ to tell you about this guy Mom dated.  He's the main reason I moved in with Dad, and then Mom got smart and dumped him.  Apparently, she thought I was the problem but after I was gone, she realized it was all him. 

PJ: That guy would have no reason to kill Helena, though.

Iggy: Unless she was a witness.  

Lynch: Anything's possible.  I'll take a formal statement from you after I clarify a few things with your stepmother.  (To PJ)  You mentioned that Charlie took issue with some of your parenting methods? Was that a problem? 

PJ: Charlie had a right to say something about the boys, being their mother, but I felt she over-stepped when my girls were concerned.  For example, I was arguing with Belle about dating.  I think she's too young, but Charlie recited that vulgar rhyme that starts "old enough to bleed".  

Iggy: But dad backed up PJ on that one.  In their house, we can't date until we can drive.  

PJ: It's nothing unusual for a blended family.  Surely you don't think I killed her over that?

******

Across town, Jimin is dealing with his most troublesome client.


Jimin: Mrs. Jackson, I don't understand.  Why do you think Miss Carson is needed?  She knows little or nothing about your family situation. 


Charlotte: Not for the custody thing.  For this ridiculous claim that I killed Helena Malfoy and Charlie Lake.  Bonnie has insight into that, since she is the Malfoy boy's parole officer. 

Bonnie: Probation officer.  Parole is an entire different thing. 

Charlotte: Whatever.  Tell him how nice and civil we all were.  

Jimin: Mrs. Jackson, I do family law, not criminal law. You'll have to retain a different lawyer if you're concerned you might be charged.  (To Bonnie) Unless you can contribute to the custody matter, I'm afraid we've wasted your time.


Charlotte: Seriously?!  It's all connected, can't you see?  Whoever killed them is working for either Billy's sons or for this damn town.  I'm not sure which bunch hates me more.  Hell, maybe they're in it together!  (Eyes Bonnie suspiciously) Come to think of it, the Carsons are one of the founding families of  Barbieville... 


Bonnie: Well, I  think I've heard enough.  Jimin, I'm sure I'll see you in Family Court.  (Shakes his hand)  Maybe we can get dinner sometime?  

Jimin: That would be nice.  (Raises his voice to be heard over Charlotte) I'm sorry about this.

Bonnie: Never apologize for your clients, Mr. Rhee.  You aren't responsible for their behavior. 

****

At Doll County Museum


Carol: Mr. Patrick, you are a hard man to track down. 

Coby: I keep busy, that's for sure.  What can I do for you, Agent Danvers? 

Carol: I wanted to speak to you and Ms Pike about Helena Malfoy.  You were the last to see her alive.

Morgan: Dr. Pike.  I have a PhD in paleontology.  


Coby: I don't think I'd be much help.  Helena works with the university, having permanent exhibits here that connect to our disciplines.  I've recently taken charge of Gender Studies and met with Helena about my own exhibit.  But that's the only time I ever met her.

Carol: Did she mention any problems?  At home or professionally?

Coby: She did mention that her husband clings to old-fashioned gender roles, much to the detriment of their daughters.  An older daughter even left home because of it.   But nothing to indicate she was in any danger. 


Morgan: Did she mention that her son is an entitled little shit? 

Coby (chuckles): She didn't phrase it that bluntly, but yes. 

Morgan (to Carol): I was here helping plan Coby's space, more out of boredom than anything else.  Helena mentioned that she was going for a jog along Hawthorne.  She liked it because the hill made it a challenge, but the shade from all the trees kept it cool.  I guess that's when she was hit. 





  








No comments:

Post a Comment