Pages

Friday, April 23, 2021

Plots and Plans

 The entire band has the day off, so a rehearsal is held.  Whitney is the last to arrive at Windu Acres, and when she enters the basement studio, silence falls over the rest. 



Whitney: I know what that means.  Y'all were talking about me. 

Zenobia: Sort of.  We're plotting to teach Esperanza to mind her own business.  

Whitney: I should have known this was going to happen.  (To Tanner) I can handle her.  


Tanner: You aren't handling her.  You're letting her get under your skin. 

Finnick: Besides, yours ain't the only business she's been getting into.  Nakoma's about ready to smack her upside the head.   (To Zenobia) Get out of in front of the speaker.  Your dumb chair is behind the kettledrum.

Tanner: We figure if we make her think... 

Whitney: She already thinks whatever it is.  And shame on you, dragging Zenobia into this with everything else going on.  

Tanner: It was Zenobia's idea!  


Zenobia:  Whitney, I could use a distraction.  Dad expects me to step into Mom's shoes because I'm the oldest and he's driving me bonkers.  Won't let me do the very things he asks me to!  

Whitney: You know how girls talk.  It's nothing. 

Zenobia: Please.  I have been slut-shamed by the best, and she's doing whatever the opposite of slut-shaming is.  She's probably not doing it on purpose, but she's undermining your self-esteem, and none of your friends are going to let that happen.

Whitney: So who else is in on this? 

******

At Witch's Cove 


Nakoma: Welcome to the new and improved Overlook Event Venue!  Besides the glass doors we just came in through, all these striped places will be windows, so lots of daylight can get in.  Remember how gloomy it used to be in here? 

Pocahontas: Gloomy seems to fit the witch theme better. 

Nakoma: Now you're just being contrary.  Our cove was settled by nice witches and I'll fight anyone who says different.  The pink is, of course, for Mom.  Weird that Cash had a thing for women who like pink, isn't it? 

Pocahontas: Don't ruin my day by mentioning Deadbeat Dad.   (She looks around and nods) It is a very Mom color.  So far, I approve.  Let's see the rest. 


Pocahontas: What's with this goofy window?  

Nakoma: Joe said this is a load-bearing wall.  He took out as much as he could without the place falling in on our heads.  This window's just a decorative feature, really.  Wall looks boring otherwise. 




Nakoma: And across the dance floor is another sitting area.  The dance floor can also serve as the central hall for things like weddings, and the furniture will be mostly seating and small tables.  

Pocahontas: Where will people eat?  Events generally have meals, you know. 

Nakoma: I made Albus clear the storage downstairs.  If you want to dance while everyone is still eating, you hop in the elevator and voila!  

Pocahontas: You mean to tell me the basement is a dining hall now?  I know Joe's good, but... 

Nakoma: Actually, that part was mostly Jessie.  She looked around and said "Challenge Accepted".  

Pocahontas:  I don't know why I'm surprised.  But I am.  Pleasantly. 

Nakoma: So, can we start planning a gala event to reopen the Overlook? 


No comments:

Post a Comment