Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Ghosts and Gold Diggers

 Diana is finishing up her first day teaching at the college when a man enters. 



Jeremiah:  Diana Prince?  

Diana: Yes.  Can I help you with something? 

Jeremiah:  I hope so.  I'm the president of Doll County Paranormal.  We investigate claims of hauntings, with a scientific focus, and our current project is at Witch's Cove.  Are you familiar with this area at all? 

Diana: I graduated with Pocahontas.  And I believe you graduated with my brother Severus.  
 
Jeremiah (chuckles): Small world.  Anyway... we're putting together a video of this particular investigation, to sell in Witch's Cove's gift shops, and hoped to have an actual historian present the -- well, the history of the place.

Diana:  I hate to be rude, but it's been a long day and I just want to get home to my son.  Can I give you my card and we'll make arrangements? 

****
At The Point, a motel and campground on the south shore of Muneca Lake


William: I've been considering your proposal.  I'm sorry, but I just can't condone gold digging. 

Charlotte: It's not gold digging if it's honest.  I know many people look down on me, but Billy knew the entire time that I wouldn't have been with him if he was broke.  And Rayshawn isn't looking for that type of girl, anyway, they'd all be eliminated quickly. 

Rayshawn: Right.  You see those shows on TV, it's all hot tubs and cocktails, but my elimination criteria is gonna include working on renovating The Point and getting along with my kid.   Gold-diggers ain't into that kind of thing, are you, Charlotte? 

Charlotte: I prefer the term social climber, thank you very much.  

William: Wait.  You want to bring in a bunch of women with the marry a millionaire concept and then make them do manual labor?  



Charlotte: He's following my example.  This way he can focus on compatibility without wondering if she's faking interest to get at the money.  Rayshawn envies us because our marriage isn't based on deceit.  

William: I'm beginning to see some merit in this idea.  Would the child have a say in the matter?  Perhaps even act as one of the judges? That's an angle we haven't seen.  Father and son decide the elimination.  

******

Friday afternoon, DCP meets at the Overlook in Witch's Cove.


Jeremiah: OK, y'all, we need to get coordinated for this weekend's investigation.  HQ will be here, in the event venue, but of course we'll be spread out over the entire property.  But before we get started, Phoebe Guinness has news.


Phoebe:  I've submitted my paperwork for my doctorate.  Accredited schools don't have one for parapsychology, so it's actually in plain ole psych, but with a heavy focus on the para!  


Jeremiah: And welcome to the team Diana Prince and Esperanza Hernandez.  Diana is a history professor and will be acting as team historian, but Esperanza will be out in the field with us.  Remember, everyone, we do not scoff at rookie mistakes.  We once made them ourselves.  

Diana: May I say, whoever did the research for this specific project did an excellent job.  


Nakoma: That would be Phoebe.  She's currently employed in the park and therefore not allowed to take part in the field work.  Jeremiah's rules, not mine!  (To Jeremiah)  I'm here as park owner, to protect our legal interests.  

Diana (to Esperanza): That's Pocahontas?  She looks so young. 

Esperanza: Nakoma.  The younger sister.

Diana: Wow.  I'm really behind on my hometown gossip.











No comments:

Post a Comment