Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

So It Begins

Halfsies Sewing and Alterations, late afternoon.


Iris:  Taylor, what do you think?  Should we have a display of accessories for sale?  Or just focus on the clothing itself? 

Taylor: It's not a bad idea.  Make a little extra money with inexpensive things, but not have a full-on jewelry depart -- ow! 

Iris: What is it? Are you okay? 

Taylor: Yeah, just a little twinge here, in my side.  Comes and goes. 

Dawn: Cramps?  Is it that time of the month? 

Taylor: I wish.  Mom says I'm a late bloomer.  If I've not started by my sixteenth birthday, I'm going to the doctor.  (rubs the spot)  This doesn't feel like a muscle cramp, anyway.

Dawn:  Remember the days when we wished for that, Iris?  

Iris: I didn't start til eighth grade and thought there was something seriously wrong with me.  

Taylor (laughs):  I've kept Mom busy with all the old wives' tales I've fallen for. Anyway... I'll get back to organizing the fabric in the work area.


Dawn: Customers.  Did we have anyone picking up an order today?

Iris: No.  I hope it's not that Jackson woman again.  She drives me nuts.


Tierra (confused): We were told this is a boutique? 

Seven: I told you it wasn't.  (To Dawn and Iris) The airport lost our luggage.  We just need a couple changes of clothes, to get us through til the luggage is found. 


Iris: Well, we do have a few pieces that our clients rejected.  They're quality work.  (uses intercom to ask Taylor to bring in the rejects)  Come to think of it, Dawn, we could display the rejects along with accessories.


Iris: Might want to call them something besides rejects if we do that.  

Tierra: We met on the plane.  We're both here for Mrs. Moneybags.  I always made fun of the women on those shows, and look at me now.

Iris: It's not typical, from what I hear.  More old fashioned helpmeet stuff, less champagne and caviar.  He's redoing The Point, and from what I've seen of that place, it's not going to be easy.


Seven:  That's what got my attention.  Part of the application packet focused on interior design and landscaping.  Are either of you ladies participating?

Iris: I'm happily married.

Dawn: I've met Rayshawn.  He's not my type. Besides, it'd be hard to run this place and The Point. 

Seven: Oh, you have?  What's he like?  What about his children? 

Iris: I'm going to go see what's keeping Taylor.  


Iris finds Taylor on the floor, gripping her belly and whimpering.

Iris (shouting):  Call an ambulance!  Call Taylor's parents!  Something's wrong with her! 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment