Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Flea Market Bonanza: Part One

I mentioned in "April Haul" the plethora of Barbies available for 40 bucks at the flea market.  This morning, they came home with me.   The bonanza is such that there will have to be more than one blog post about it.  I've stripped them and cleaned them and am now taking a break.  

THERE WILL BE NUDE DOLLS - LEAVE NOW IF THAT'S A PROBLEM.


Fortunately, my apartment building keeps orphaned shopping carts for resident use.  The bin is full and the box half full.  I've got my work cut out for me!  First order of business: Bath time!  Most of them were in pretty good shape, but a few were just grody.  


This thing sticking outta Jasmine's noggin stabbed me when I washed her hair.  No blood and it startled me more than hurt.  Several of the dolls still had box gel in their hair, some were just plain dirty, and combing them all out is going to take quite a while.


Not sure which Olsen twin this is, but she looked brand new until I undressed her.  One of the perils of buying used.


Accidental scalping.  I guess this one had hair that "grew".



Ouch.


The redheads.  The girl with the tiara still had box gel and her original outfit, but I've not researched yet who is is.  The girl in the center has the taller Teen Skipper body mold but I don't remember Skipper having a redhead friend. She'll have to be researched as well.  Batgirl came with most of her costume.  She's got weird shoulders - the joints are hidden inside a soft "skin".


The dudes.  90s Kevin, standard Ken, Donny Osmond


These lucky ladies have more than the standard five points of articulation.  They'll be either body donors or new neighbors for the dollhouse family.  I recognized Hula Hair instantly.  The 90s Stacie is smaller than the current Stacie and taller than Chelsea.  One gal has click legs instead of actual knee joints but her elbows are jointed. 


The Crazy Hair girls!  The first one is the doll that originally came in the black witch dress I got in April on someone else.  Second one, I have no idea, but I love her hair!  Third one is totally lavender - that's not the lighting.  She has a place in her back for fairy wings. That fourth girl's scalp twists so she can have blonde on purple or vice versa - and her torso is flexible. Kinda like Batgirl's shoulders.


Ethnics and Brunettes.  Fifth one looks like the Native American Barbie I had once.   The rest are mostly Teresa or Kira/Lea.  


Brats.  When I was taking this picture, Cat Stevens was singing "Baby Get Your Head Screwed On".  I guess he was talking to 90s Skipper, but she don't need to obey him.  She's gonna be a body donor.


...and I just noticed my Disney gals picture did not take.  I'll add it to part two because I'm lazy.  Tinkerbell hid when I took it, so had to pose with the celebrities/characters.  Pink Power Ranger is the likely recipient of 90s Skipper's body - hers is awful.  Olsen quadruplets... one is Roxy from New York Minute.  Marie Osmond, still holding her microphone! 


I don't even know.  I'm calling her WTF Barbie.  The one with the hole in her gut isn't Mattel.  I think she had hair that "grew" like the one I accidentally scalped.  Cindrella's skirt is attached and twirls when you hit the button on her back, so a different design shows through the open overskirt.


And the Jasmines just kept on coming.  One of my minions was a total Jasmine freak back in the day and this reminded me of her!  The big one sings.  One of the smaller ones has a battery pack but I don't know what she does.  Either she's broken or needs a battery transplant.


... and only three Aladdins to keep up with all them Jasmines!  


Ballerinas.


One of the standard blondes had these strange feet.  It looks like the bottom of the foot was removed and new ones molded?  


A few standard blondes - and one Crazy Hair that hid while that picture was taken.

This is where things stand roughly four hours after I brought them home.  The blue bin is half full of clothes and accessories.  There were a few non-Barbie items and three soft bodies (one was Snow White).

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the haul! Not bad at all for $40 even if it will take some work to get them in shape. Your WTF Barbie is a 2005 American Idol Barbie. My daughter had Simone from that series and I never quite understood why they did that to her body! If I recall, she could be attached to a platform and she could move and I think she sang from her amp or the platform. ours has since been rebodied to a poseable body!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's messed-up looking, for sure.

    ReplyDelete