Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Story 19: Run Deep

The election over, life in Barbieville returns to normal.  Pike got his annual bonus from the corporation and has hired Joe to do some handyman work.  They meet at the diner to go over Joe's plans.


Joe: When those buildings came down along the Beach Highway, I contracted to take them down for materials I can repurpose.  I went out to my warehouse and came up with some idea for the work on your deck.

Pike: I didn't know you had a warehouse.

Joe: What I save on material more than covers the cost of the lease.  Also, save the planet and all that.  Sometimes I put my girls to work cleaning and sorting, if it's safe.  Jenny's a terrific go-fer.  

Pike: They are at that age.  I'd never get Taylor to do manual labor, though.  She might break a nail.

Joe (laughs): My girls don't enjoy it, but they know that's how we put food on the table.  If my wife's boss would give her a raise... 



After lunch, they decide to go to the warehouse and brainstorm.  Ben Kishi approaches them as they're leaving.

Ben:  Excuse me, Mr. Pike, I wonder if you can tell me if your wife would okay a support group meeting at the Town Hall?  It started out as being for siblings raising siblings, but...

Pike: You'd have to talk to her secretary, Kyra Darling.  Aren't there already support groups for that kind of thing?

Ben: We have one for Grandparents and one for Single Parents, but they're not willing to let siblings and cousins and the like join.  Thank you.  Sorry to bother you. 

Pike: It's no bother.  Good luck.


At the warehouse, Joe shows Pike some of the things he was planning to use for the deck.  

Joe: Those brick planters in the corner are the ones I used in the plans I showed you at the diner.  

Pike: Fake flowers? 

Joe: Cleverly disguised lights.  They come on automatically. 


Pike: That would be good.  We can always use...  what in the world is this thing? 

Joe: Bunk beds, can you believe it?  Came from the condemned apartments - I guess they were too much work for the owner to haul out.  

Pike: Tanner and Finnick reached the age where they refused to share a bed and we made a loft bed for one of them, but... 

Joe: If you can find round mattresses.  The originals are long gone.  


Zenobia and Becky are on their way to Zenobia's apartment in the warehouse district.  

Zenobia: I only get good light for about an hour a day, so we'll have to record the interview around three.  Unless we can find another place to do it. 

Becky: Three is...  (hears something down the alley)  What was that? 

Zenobia: Sounded too big to be one of the neighborhood strays.  


Becky: Clara!  What are you doing?

Startled, Clara falls.


Clara: Why don't you mind your own business?

Becky: Are you okay?

Zenobia: You're up on those bins, taking pictures through the ventilation slats, but we need to mind our own business? 



Joe: Now, these poles are the perfect...  

Pike: What's going on outside?  


Clara:  I'm not hurt.  Give back my camera and leave me alone!

Joe: That's my warehouse.  Let me see that camera.  

Clara: That camera is my property! 

Zenobia: You're trespassing on his property.  

Clara: Shut up, you blue-headed bimbo! 

Joe (scrolling through the photos): Call the police.  Looks like this girl's planning to blackmail half the town. 

2 comments:

  1. Cute story! I have been looking at that GI Joe on line and thinking about buying him. Does your Joe have any tools to work with? I have found metal tool kits at Home Depot and Lowes and great wooden ones from Micheal's. Our Generation the saw and the paint can work well but the other items like the hammer are too big. I will have to catch up with more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms Leo! No, I haven't gotten Joe any tools yet (I only recently decided to make him Barbieville's version of your Harold.) Thanks for the head's up on where to find him some!

      Delete