Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Story 17: Election Day

The main polling place in Barbieville is The Overlook, a reception hall in the amusement park.  Voters can gather in the front room and socialize before and after casting their ballots.  The park closes for the winter after the Halloween Haunt, but for this one day a skeleton crew is working as security.


Finnick, Nakoma, and Anakin staff the ticket booths between the parking lot and the park entrance.

Anakin: Come help me take down the Halloween decorations.

Nakoma: The guys who repaint the wall during the off season take them down.  But go for it, little brother.  You've been bored silly all day.

Finnick: Poor kid doesn't know to bring something to entertain himself. Rookie mistake.  (To Anakin) Hand me that end and go take down the other.  We can pull it in through my window.

Nakoma watches them work.  She'd tell them how sweet they are, but that would just embarrass both of them.


Rose-Grace is near the entrance doing a bit of last minute electioneering.  Across the way, a group is discouraging support for one of the issues.  Tris comes over to talk to them. 

Tris: I'm so glad you aren't making your kids help.  My folks...  

Mace: Fred was here, but he kept crossing the invisible line.  (Points toward the "No electioneering beyond this point" sign.)  His daddy took him home.

Rose-Grace: He didn't cross the line.  He just yelled after people who had.  I'm not sure how the law works in that case, but we're not taking any chances.  

Mace: Forcing a kid to do anything is bound to backfire on you.  We don't want them to hate voting when they're grown.

Tris: I wish you could talk sense to my folks.  I find this whole thing humiliating.


Brent is doing his electioneering nearer the parking lot.  PJ has joined him.

PJ: I hope you win this election.  Rose-Grace Pike needs to go.

Brent: It's up to the voters at this point.  

PJ: Do you have any idea how much trouble she caused me by taking my building from the owner?  I had to join the Medical Center.  Relocating alone cost me as much as a year's lease in the old place! If she gets re-elected, that land will end up the property of that damn amusement park.  

Brent: (Thinks her concern is groundless, but remembers how convinced he once was.)  It's up to the citizens of Barbieville now.  You seem to be taking it personally, but a lot of people were inconvenienced by that entire situation.  


Inside The Overlook

Pocahontas: There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for a support group, Ben.  

Ben: I've had a good bit of interest from people on campus.  

Roxy:  Hi, Pocahontas!  I saw Anakin at the gate and he -- 



John (across the room):  Roxy, let her be.  I already told you no.

Sulu: Now I get it.  You don't want me to set you up with anybody because you're chasing the one that got away.  Are you nuts?  She's never gonna give you a second chance.


Pocahontas: Go on, Roxy.  If your dad said no to whatever it is, then that's final.  

Ben (watching Roxy walk away): Cute kid.

Pocahontas: Her father was my high school sweetheart.  

Ben: The one you told me about?  

Pocahontas: The only one.  How many high school sweethearts did you have?


John: You're way off base, man.  Roxy is friends with her little brother, that's all. 

Sulu: That's why you can't take your eyes off of her?  Dude, I was there when she busted into second period history and beat the crap out of you.

John: Which I deserved.     


Clara: What are you doing here?  

Becky:  Voting, and talking to Violet. 

Clara: Trying to turn Violet against me, more like. 

Violet: We weren't talking about anything related to you.  I don't know what adolescent drama you two have going on and I don't care.  We have a business relationship, no more and no less.

Clara: Why'd you warn us about those kids, then?

Violet: It's good business to let a client know if someone is snooping.  



Evening falls.  Whitney's shift at the diner over, she and her mom are walking home.  They come across Brent Spiner.  

Brent: Hello, Ms Darling.  I was hoping to run into you. 

Kyra: Um, hi? 

Brent: I just called Rose-Grace and conceded the election. 

Kyra: And you felt the need to hunt me down and tell me in person?  I work for the town, not for her.  If you had won...


Brent: But she's also your friend.  And if I had won, my asking you out would be quite inappropriate.  Tell me, was losing the election a blessing in disguise? 

No comments:

Post a Comment