Pages

Friday, November 9, 2018

Story 18: Still Waters

Pike's meeting with local contractor Joe Montez about a problem he recently noticed.   


Pike: You can see here, the deck is coming apart from the house.  And we're concerned about the lack of railings around the edges.  No one's fallen off, but it's an accident waiting to happen.

Joe: Looks like you're right about the trees pushing it off kilter.  But it's not as bad as it seems.  For one thing, this isn't really a deck.  It's a separate structure, a car port, that you just hang out on top of. I doubt it was ever...


Rose-Grace joins them.  She's just gotten home from the office.

Rose-Grace: You went ahead and called Joe?  I told you I wanted to wait.

Pike: Until my bonus came through and we knew your job was secure for the next few years.  Both of those things have happened, right?

Joe: It's all his fault, Ms Mayor.  Please don't revoke my contractor's license.  (They all laugh.)  As I was just telling your husband, it looks like a fairly simple job.  


None of them are aware they're being watched.

*****

Later that week, Kyra steps into the boss's office at the end of the day.  


 

Kyra: Put that paperwork down.  It's five, and time to get out of here.

Rose-Grace: What's your big hurry?  (Remembers) Oh, yeah, you have a hot date tonight.  

Kyra: A date, anyway.  It remains to be seen how hot it'll be.  What is all that, anyway?

Rose-Grace: Every single committee this town has.  They waited until after the election to do any work just in case a transition needed eased.  I'm tempted to deny every request in here, just out of spite.

Kyra: Are you sure it's all right for me to date Brent?  He did just run against you.

Rose-Grace: Speaking as mayor, the timing could be slightly better, but as your friend?  Go for it.


The Eatons have dinner at the diner.  Mariko comes to take their order, but they're too busy bickering to even take the menus from her.

Marcus: Don't get to used to this, guys.  Mom's kitchen will be unpacked tomorrow.

Esmeralda: Moving is a lot harder with a family.  The last time, it was just me and Dad.  Good thing you were all boys so we didn't need a third bedroom or this would have happened a long time ago.

Ricky: I'm still mad you didn't get us each our own room in the new place.  Dad said we could afford it.  And don't be all dramatic about how you gave us the master bedroom cause it was bigger. 


Marcus: You need to watch your tone, Richard.  

Four: Maybe you want to live with Mommy and Daddy forever, but I'll take a pass.  

Kevin: You'll have your own room in what, five years?  At the most?  


Elsewhere in the diner, Zenobia talks to Becky.

Zenobia: I want to do a vlog on Keep Barbieville Virtuous.  I've already got a lot of man on the street type stuff, but if I interview you and Clara on camera, it would be great.

Becky: I'm available, but don't count on Clara.  She isn't speaking to me.

Zenobia: Really?  That sounds like a scoop right there!


Brent takes Kyra to dinner at the Shore Thing Cafe, where they have a spectacular view of Muneca Lake at sunset.

Brent: I hope you like this place.  I wanted somewhere nice, but not too fancy.  

Kyra: I bring my girls here for all our special occasions.  

Brent: If it's not too personal, can I ask why they all have W names?

Kyra:  My ex.  He was William and decided our daughters would share his initials.  Had they been sons, they'd probably be Kyle and Keith. For my initials.  When Wilma came along, the girls didn't want her to feel left out.  

Brent: You could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out you were a grandmother.

Kyra: Imagine how I felt.  Whitney was barely a teenager.


Nervous as a schoolboy, Brent slips an arm around her as they stroll along the beach.

Kyra: Can I ask, if it's not too personal, what did KBV have on you?  Everything they printed was so vague and I don't want to be dating an axe murderer.

Brent: We only murder axes.  (Chuckles, then braces himself for her reaction.)  I have a juvenile record.  Assault.  Hate crimes, mostly racial.  A touch of gay bashing.  (Relieved she hasn't fled.)  I'm a better man now, obviously, but people don't like to believe you can change.

Kyra: What happened to bring about the change?

Brent: My sister married a non-white woman.  


...and they're being followed.


No comments:

Post a Comment