Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Serendipity

My family has a rule - after the beginning of October, no buying goodies for yourself.  I've been known to break it, and the purchase is usually doll related.  The last time I did it was when I found Rusty, in most of her original outfit, in gently played with condition, for ten bucks.  (Rusty is a redhead My Size Barbie, for anyone new to my Barbieville.)  


I did it again.  Bad Jeanie!  Found a Barbie car that seats more than two at a local thrift store.  The side mirrors and tailgate are missing.  The seat belts had been removed, but I do that myself, so no big deal.  It does look like someone spray-painted near it and it got drifted on, or maybe it's sun damaged.  I snatched it up for two dollars!


I'd never seen this particular vehicle before and assumed it had been produced during one of my lulls in Barbie play.  (The above picture is not mine, by the way.)  I researched it and found it listed as Sisters Cruiser and as Pink Passport Jeep.  


I figured it was a recast of the same mold like the SUVs, but I've seen it also listed as the Pink Passport Sisters Cruiser.  I'm pretty sure Pink Passport is the latest play line theme...  so I got a practically brand new vehicle for two dollars!



I brought it home and cleaned it up (ran it through the dishwasher) before my minion tested its durability.  The roof is three pieces that pop back into place fairly easily.  The only issue I have is the tailgate.  Without it, I've got the same problem as with the golf cart, and there are no handy rails to hold onto here.  Back seat passengers fall out!


I cut sturdy cardboard to size.  

       
A paper clip and electrical tape became the bottom hinge and the paint job - it matches almost perfectly!  Better than I expected, honestly.  


View of the underside of hinge.  The licence plate pivots for support, which is a nice touch even if it doesn't appear my DIY will need that help. Tailgate parties!  


As you can see here, it will stay vertical but won't stay horizontal.  Pocahontas claimed this vehicle and said Nakoma could have the golf cart for her teenage gallivanting.  Anakin's like "Why did it have to be pink?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment