Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2018

More Holiday Drama

The holidays are quickly approaching.  At the mayor's office, all the paperwork is caught up (finally) and Kyra takes advantage of the lull.


Kyra:  I need some advice from a woman who's been there and done that.

Rose-Grace:  Sure, what's up?


Kyra:  It's Wendy.  Did she really think I was going to stay single for the rest of my life?

Rose-Grace: I might be the wrong person to talk to about this.  My girls weren't even school age when they lost their father.  Wendy remembers hers, even still sees him from time to time. 

Kyra: Brent has been really sweet to her.  Well, to all of us, but she's the only one with a problem. 

Rose-Grace: I'm pretty sure that's typical.  Puberty's rough enough without Mom suddenly having a boyfriend. Look, even with as slow as Pike and I took things, it hasn't all been rainbows and sunshine.  The boys really resented me at first.  


Kyra: I should just be patient with her?  She's being such a little -- 

Rose-Grace: Bad behavior should be punished, obviously, but don't try to force things.  Brent will grow on her.  Look how much the boys love me now.  Candy even jokes that they like me better than her.  

*****

At the diner, Pocahontas and Ben meet about the support group.  They run into Becky and she joins them.  


Ben: Seriously, though, Becky.  The judge is going to take into consideration what the kids want.  

Becky: I know, but some of the other relatives are going on about how young I am.  And you know how hard it is, juggling work and school and Claudia.  I just wonder if I bit off more than I can chew. 

Pocahontas: If you really think you're the best option for the kids, you have to find a way.  The more I know about Anakin's mother, the more I consider making our arrangement permanent.  

Ben: You wouldn't have to work.  

Becky:  That money belongs to them.  I'll use what I have to, to get a decent home and all, but I'm not living off them.  Even though they said I could.  


Pocahontas:  By the way, Ben, why are you looking for a place we can meet?  I own an entire amusement park with office space and a reception hall.



Ben:  That didn't even occur to me!  


Becky:  This group doesn't even have a name yet and it's already keeping me sane.  

Pocahontas:  You and me both.

*****

Speaking of Anakin...  Stacie is helping him with a problem.


Stacie: See?  It's about saying thanks to whatever god you believe in for all the good stuff.

Anakin: Mommy says that's just the official reason.  It's all a lie, though.  

Stacie: We know the bad stuff happened and we are sad about it, but for that one day, we're just supposed to look at the good stuff.  Be happy for the nice ones who did make friends.  

Anakin: Yeah, me and you are friends and maybe your great great grandpa murderpated mine. 

Stacie (giggling):  Maybe yours scalped mine! 


Candy: I don't think Anakin's tribe scalped people.

Stacie: Hi, Mommy!  Is it time to go?

Candy: I've got the little ones in the car already.  We need to pick up the girls from choir practice and hit the store on the way to Anakin's.  Pocahontas asked me to pick them up a few things.

Stacie: Should we grab Step-Mommy's shopping list?  We can save her a trip to the store.

Candy: Good idea.  She can pay me back later.

*****

At the store...


Candy: Stupid card reader isn't working.

Batgirl: We've been having issues with it all day.  Pike's on the phone with the bank even as we speak.

Candy: I'll try it once more, but then we'll go old school with my checkbook.


Stacie:  Our daddy is the manager here.


Candy:  Stacie, you know trying to get special treatment because of Dad isn't cool.

Stacie: No, he asked how many Daddies we had.  

Candy:  Oh, really?  (looks at Ryan, the bagger)  Why is it any of your business how many fathers they have?


Nikki: Isn't that the boy Tanner beat up for saying --  

Taylor:  Hush!


Anakin: I bet he thinks you're using a Food Stamp card and we're all your kids and we all got different fathers.


Nikki: Well, some of us do have different fathers, but we have different mothers, too.  

Anakin: Yeah, I'm not even related to you guys!  

Batgirl: You need to go home, Ryan.  Now.  And don't be surprised if you're unemployed by bedtime.




Ryan:  I didn't know!  I just assumed...

Batgirl: We do not jump to conclusions about, or pass judgment on, our customers.  And if we do, we sure aren't stupid enough to let them know.  Why would you think that's appropriate?  Ever? 


Stacie and Nikki take over bagging the groceries as he storms off.  

Stacie: I wonder what he thought about the wine.

Nikki: I'm sure she was going to drink it with some crack.  


No comments:

Post a Comment