Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Spring Has Sprung

The last nine weeks of school begins with a new student coming to Barbieville Middle School.


Claudia and Moana wait for the bus outside Lake Shore Townhomes.

Claudia: I guess it's kind of like any public school.  Some good teachers, some bad ones.  Same with the kids.  

Moana: Thanks for offering to help me out.  Jason promised me we won't move.  Well, I won't have to change schools.  Obviously, when he gets a job, we might have to move out of this complex. 

Claudia: Ben wouldn't qualify to live here if it wasn't for me.  Kids are expensive. 


Ron: Watch out for Draco, though.  He don't like you poor folk and those of us who slum with you.
Moana: Us poor folk?  Dude, you live here, too. 
Ginny: We're independently wealthy, or will be when we're old enough to get our trust funds.  I guess we are technically poor right now...
Ron: Our cousin is the manager here and she's got custody of us.  We picked her because she was the only one who cared more about us than the money.
Ginny: Took a while to convince the courts, though. 

*****
At the high school, McG begins a long-term substitute position in the Language Arts classroom.  


Raven: That's the twins' grandma?  

Tris: Four says she's really strict but otherwise cool.  Hey, did I tell you Zenobia and I decided to find a bigger apartment?  Where should we look?

Raven: How would I know?

Tris: Aren't you and your mom looking for a place?

Raven: Oh, that.  She's been seeing Dean, like, forever.  They decided to get married.  Just a mayor's office thing, though, since Mom isn't Jewish.  I get to share a room with his thirteen year old. 



McG:  Miss Prior, Miss Baxter.  Would you like to share with the class, since your subject matter is clearly more important than mine?  (waits a moment)  As I was saying, Miss Jones left me with instructions regarding your course of study.  It appears that the final exam is to be a stage production of one of the books reviewed this term.  

Raven (whispering):  Please let it be Gone With The Wind.

McG: Given the subject matter, some things have to be changed for a school production, but Miss Jones had a script nearly finished at the time of her accident.  Please consider what roles you'd like to audition for on Friday.
  
Raven (whispering):  Gone With The Wind  please please please

McG: I'm sorry, Miss Baxter, but it will be Jane Eyre.  

*****

After school, at the hospital. 


Tanner:  You aren't Whitney, but you're a lot prettier than Frodo.

Nakoma: Thanks, I think.  The Language Arts play this year is Jane Eyre.  Want me to put you down for any roles? 

Tanner: There's only one guy in that whole book!

Nakoma: You must not have been paying much attention when we read it. And you should be out of the hospital in plenty of time.


Rose-Grace: Marcus was just here.  Tanner is going home tomorrow.

Nakoma:  That's great!  I can't wait to tell the gang! 

Rose-Grace: And I think you should put him down to play Mason.  

****

That evening, KAP (Kin As Parents) welcomes a new member to the support group.


Becky: Guys, this is Jason Fly.  He just moved here, has custody of a seventh-grader, and is looking for work.  

Jason: Anything will do.  I hate being unemployed but don't have much by way of qualifications.


Nova: You're in good company, then.  Both Ben and I work at places that are almost always hiring and Pocahontas owns the amusement park.  We'll see what we can do for you.  

Ben: Jason has quite a story about his charge.  He doesn't even know how she's kin.


Jason: It's kind of a long one, but here goes.  I was DNA matched with Moana.  I have several brothers and uncles who might be the father.  So Moana is either my cousin or my niece. 

Pocahontas: Wow. 

Jason: Moana's mom died in a car accident and the foster care system has just implemented a system of DNA matching.  They contacted all of us and I was the only one willing to take in the child.


Pocahontas: Can't they tell how closely related you are?  Or is cousin and niece the same degree of relation?  

Jason: I'm not sure.  All I know is, she's my blood and she needed me.  

Ben: Maybe Pocahontas should do that.  See how many more Anakins are out there. 

Pocahontas: I wouldn't dare.  Anakin already thinks I don't believe he's really my brother.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of complications here. I’m glad they’re doing Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Raven... she's having a rough time...

    ReplyDelete