Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Workshirts and the Windigo

My goal was to have the Windigo ready for July 4th.  I've been working on it for quite some time and finally sat down to finish the project.  Before anyone gets too excited... I'm not actually making a play scale roller coaster.  Not until I win that sweepstakes, anyway.  


What I am making is the seats - just enough to trick the ole eyeballs into seeing them on a coaster.  First step, cutting the box into two halves longways.  The seats are the ends of the box and the rider's feet dangle.  Albus volunteered to be my average rider so I could get the measurements. 


Hip rails measured, the sides of the box will be removed at the pre-existing bend...  


...and turned into the overhead safety rail.  


Albus claimed I was tickling him when I measured the overhead rails on him.


His shoulders didn't sit even (because I was tickling him?) so I went with the 3.5 inch height.  The remaining flaps get folded over to make the coaster's suspension bar.  I used denim scraps to line the seats but quickly discovered cardboard wasn't a good choice for the safety rails.


So I used the only ribbon in the sewing box that was long enough to serve.  They're permanently attached behind the shoulders, but the crotch "snap" is just taped to the underside.  This is not a recommended procedure for human roller coasters.


Careful placement of the backdrop and camera...  here they go!  Click click click up that first hill.


Corkscrew!  The loop is coming, Albus, are you ready? 


I finished the upholstery with colored tape, braided the bit that passes between the legs, and the Windigo is ready for flight.  It ain't purty, but it does the job.


And then there was this.  My nephew finally wore out his Kansas map shirt.  A cheer rose in Barbieville when the muscle guys saw the fabric.  They knew it meant new work shirts for them!  The poor guys are so limited on what they can wear besides military shirts.


Brent wants to know why Albus is giggling.  "I've got Jeanie's brother on my butt." Albus says.  "He lives in Topeka."  Dean says, "Me, too!  Well, it says TOP."

If they want the maps to be upside down, they can just wear the shirt backward.  The fabric is basically flopped over the shoulders and closed up the sides.  Nancy got a dress out of a larger leftover scrap.  Poor thing's had to wear Ken clothes since her arrival...  


By the way, if anyone is wondering about the wallpaper on my computer...  here she is.  

Also, a big thanks to all my doll peeps who gave advice on finding clothes for Nancy and my big guys.  I didn't ignore you, I promise...  I just gotta be frugal when I can! 

2 comments:

  1. I just love the shirt! How cute! I am waiting to see the Windigo! Are you making a whole park or just this one ride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just making the car for the Windigo, then using camera tricks.

    ReplyDelete