Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Demolition and Donors

WARNING! NAKED HEADLESS DOLLS!


I know what you're thinking.  Demolition?  Will we see explosions?  Sadly, no.  The explosions will be imaginary.  When I got my park backdrops, I wasn't happy with the skyscrapers.  Barbieville is not a city.  My dolls are, for the most part, rural folk.


I even wrote them into the story as a failed effort by the former mayor to stimulate the economy and change the image of the town to visitors.  But there are still way too many of them!  What to do...  I spied something at Michael's on one of my rare trips west of my sister's house.

A cartoon light bulb appeared above my head.


Since I don't have thin enough paper for this part, I used the clear plastic from doll packaging.  Trace the tree line onto the plastic and cut along the line.  The plastic also let me use a marker that would have bled through paper.


This is what I found at Michael's!  Sky poster board!  I repeated the trace and cut, this time following the admittedly rough stencil I'd made out of the plastic.


Glued it into place and filled in the places where buildings still peeked through with white fingernail polish (because I don't have paint) to match the clouds.


And now roughly half of the buildings are gone.  The sky's got a lot more clouds over there, but we've all seen real skies look like that, so I'm good with it.  Mayor Rose-Grace Pike assures me those buildings were all vacant, since so few millionaires want to invest in a lakeside farming community.

Cue the imaginary explosions as we move on to my other project. 

WARNING! NAKED HEADLESS DOLLS!


My collection of body donors.  I prefer my dolls to have at least nine points of articulation: neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees.  More joints are a bonus! I sure ain't gonna complain if a doll has more! I pick up possible donors at thrift shops and clearance sales.  Vapid Face Sufferers and those with giant noggins get decapitated.  Sometimes one will just move right into Barbieville as is.

I do avoid certain lines because they are too skinny to share clothes and/or have inhuman skin tones. Some lines are child height but have mature features, also, so I avoid them.  I do have it on good authority that two of the skinny lines have males that are of acceptable girth, but I've not found any.


The first batch of candidates for transplant are my Fives.  They only have the standard neck, shoulder, and hip joints.  Bertie and Esperanza think the spot a match for one of them! 


Bertie has elbows and knees!  Not real lady-like, but that's a whole other thing.


My Five + Clicks are next.  They have softer plastic legs that bend a bit and click into place at the knee.  Most of these are ten inches or less.  Young teens and children in my Barbieville.  Roxy (not pictured here) is a gymnast Stacie from the 90s and Anakin (also not pictured) is technically an action figure.  Both are rare finds! There is currently an articulated Extreme Sports Stacie on the market, but I'm not likely to get her before the Family Christmas Ban* happens, so I'm gonna tell Santa about her.


Stacie didn't gain any articulation is this head swap, but she did get rid of that mutant thumb and bent elbow.  She's happy and the mutant thumb body will become a donor.


Tris is my only Seven.  She doesn't have elbows, but that lovely tattoo makes me reluctant to body swap her.  One of the donor bodies is a Seven.  Donor bodies can be anything above a Five.


Lots of Seven + Clicks. None of them matched any donors.  Need more in darker skin tones.


Guinness almost matches and Frodo is just laughing at me.


Floppy Boyz are in the house!  These three are Nines, but the joints are loose.  The Boy was messing with John and Hank, calling them Floppy Boyz.  The name stuck even though Esmeralda is a not a boy.  


Esmeralda is a pretty good match for the Seven donor body, but she chose to remain floppy. Not willing to give up them elbows.

*My family has a rule: After a certain date, we are not allowed to buy anything gift-worthy for ourselves.  I do try not to break it, and almost every time I have, it was doll-related.

No comments:

Post a Comment