Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

Change Is Good, Right?

Life moves on in Barbieville, with changes big and small.


Joe:  Your office is finished.  Again.

Pike: Well, at least you get a steady income from these constant remodels, right? 

Joe: That's true, but it's a little insulting since I did the last two jobs on it.


Pike checks out the "new" office.  

Joe:  Just for the record, I did not choose the wallpaper.  Your bosses did. 

Pike: I kind of like it.  Not as busy as the earlier one.  How's work on the new break room going? 

Joe: The hardest part was finding the best position of the dividing wall.  I wanted to give them room to relax a bit, but didn't want to leave your office too small, either.  

Pike: We usually only have one or two people at a time on break.  We don't need a very big area.

Joe: Well, it should be done tomorrow.  Maybe even by lunchtime.

*******

Grand Opening of Doll County Day Care's new location.


Jenny: Fred!  I dint know you was coming!  Your mommy had to go to work? 

Fred: Grampa Mace is making her shovel horse poop today.  Me and the babies don't wanna do that, so she bringed us here to play! 


Rose-Grace: Sorry for bringing them at the last minute.  I thought some of the older kids would watch them, but Dad's putting us all to work.  Getting the barn ready for winter is a big job. 

John: No problem.  Fred looked thrilled to be here. 

Rose-Grace: He was packing the diaper bag before I hung up the phone.  He's been bursting at the seams to see this place.  And all his little friends. 

John: The feeling is mutual.  We've all been bursting at the seams.  (laughs) Joe's wearing the same shirt as you.  Well, same pattern.  Are the dancing skeletons back into vogue? 

Rose-Grace:  Well, it is getting to be that time of year.  How are things going with Pocahontas?  

John: Great.  I went to see a realtor about selling my house.  Did you know they sell double-wides with up to five bedrooms now?  We might get one of those put in where her current trailer is.


Rose-Grace leaves.  Samara and Orlando join the rest of the children. 

Kelly: We dint go near the big windows, Daddy.  The floor is ax-id over there, right?  

John: Good idea.  Make a game of staying away. When they reinforce those lower panes, I'll magic the acid away and this play area won't be so crowded then.  

Wilma: How come they dint do that before?  We don't wanna fall to our dooms.

John (chuckles): It's just for my peace of mind. I'm a bit afraid of heights. 

*****

Evening at Sunburst.


Whitney: Ready to order, Mrs. Jackson? 

Charlotte (annoyed): My sister isn't here yet.  We'll summon you when we're ready to order, although what I'll find on this menu is beyond me.  

Whitney: The fish is today's special.

Charlotte:  I said we will let you know when we are ready.  Are you dense?


Whitney leaves to take care of her other customers.  Charlotte reaches for her phone right when Batgirl walks in.  

Charlotte: Dear God!  What are you wearing? 

Batgirl: Gabriella told me the seventies called, they want their pantsuit back. (shrugs) It's comfortable and I like it.


Once they've ordered and Whitney brings their drinks, they chat before Charlotte gets to the point.

Charlotte: Have you been talking to the boys' lawyer? 

Batgirl: Only because I want what's best for Mary-Kate and Max.  Charlotte, we both know you weren't cut out to be a mother and, frankly, I'm mystified that you ever had them. 

Charlotte: The only reason Kaden wants them is to control their shares of the estate when the time comes.  Dr. Eaton tried to get me to sign for Kaden to see the medical records.  As if I'm not seeing that my husband is well cared for. 

Batgirl: He isn't just your husband.  He's their father, too.  


Whitney brings their food.

Charlotte: I've eaten the finest Italian food, young lady, and this is a disgrace.  You call this spaghetti and meatballs? 

Batgirl:  This is Barbieville, not Naples.  (to Whitney) Can I get a refill on my drink?  

Whitney: Of course.  Mrs. Jackson, I can have the owner...  

Charlotte: I suppose I'll survive.  (Shoos Whitney away)


Whitney: How are you folks doing over here?  Everything good?

Ty: How come that lady's being such a meanie to you?

Whitney: I guess she's just had a bad day.  

Suzie (sarcastic): You'd think evicting old hippies would put her in a better mood.

Whitney (stifles a laugh): Albus will land on his feet.  He's such a sweetheart, half the town's offered him a place to stay.  


2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! Which playset are you using for Sunburst?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the folding houses. I found it at Goodwill, but I"m not sure specifically which of the folding houses it is.

      Delete