Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Point And The Cove

Zenobia: Welcome to Openly Biased.  I'm your host, of course, Zenobia!  Today we're talking to a representative from Save The Point, a local initiative to block the destruction of a Barbieville landmark, and to someone from Witch's Cove to talk about changes to the park next summer.  My first guest is Helena Malfoy, director of Barbieville Museum.


Helena: Thank you for having me.  It is vital to this community, for many reasons, that The Point be saved.  We may think an RV park and campground is an eyesore, but it is an integral part of Barbieville and Doll County's economy.  


Zenobia: And not just the economy.  Almost everyone in this town has fond memories of The Point.  One of our local characters lived at the point for decades and had to find another home.

Helena (glances off-camera):  Yes, Albus Dumbledore is as much an institution in this town as any of the businesses. The community rallied to help him, even those who disapprove of his lifestyle, and he's recovered nicely from the blow.


Zenobia: I have to wonder.  Why would a person do this?  It can't be a sound business decision - nothing they put in is going to bring in more revenue for either the owner or the town.  

Helena: I'm reluctant to discuss this, so all I will say on the matter is this:  I have it on good authority that she is motivated by revenge.  She was badly bullied in school.


Zenobia (to camera): And this, kids, is why we don't bully.


Helena: I hope you're trying to inject a bit of levity, Zenobia.  

Zenobia: Yes, I am. Of course, being bullied is not a free pass for being a jerk.  The new owner of The Point is the sister of Batgirl Montez.  Batgirl was bullied just as badly and she's a sweetheart.


Helena:  I just had an excellent idea!  You could do an entire series about bullying, look at all the different perspectives.  I was guilty of bullying in my youth and would be willing to discuss the matter on your program.

Zenobia: That is a good idea.  


Helena: Back to the subject at hand.  Save The Point is taking action - several of the local business owners have filed to block a zoning change.  We can't legally do anything to stop her purchase and closure of  the business, but we will not sit idly by. 

Zenobia: Can a citizen file?  From a sentimental standpoint? 

Helena: Many have done so because their jobs are in danger - closing The Point is going to harm almost all the local businesses - but sentiment is a valid reason to oppose the zoning.  I urge every adult citizen of Barbieville to do just that. 

Zenobia: I know I'll be making a trip to City Hall soon.  (To the camera)  Even those who don't live here can help.  Contact the zoning office using the information in the video description.  

Helena (to the camera): Now that I've said my piece, I'll give my seat to Zenobia's next guest.  Albus Dumbledore, Head Ride Technician at Witch's Cove. 


Albus: Actually, my job title is Director of Ride Maintenance.  (laughs) Something like that, anyway.  I do a lot of odd jobs, too. 


Zenobia: I know a lot of us were disappointed when the Windigo failed to open this year.  What's the news on that? 

Albus: Pocahontas specifically wanted safety features allowing older children to be able to ride, but the cars delivered were designed only for adults.  I tried to convince her to use them in the meantime, but she's a stubborn gal.  She returned them to the manufacturer.  The correct cars are in place, but the park has already closed for the season.  We will open next year with the Windigo running. 

Zenobia: What about the haunted house?  Was anything salvageable after the fire? 

Albus: The building itself was not, but we're using some of the elements from it to update the wild west train.  Not a lot of people cared to ride a wild west train, but the haunted house was very popular.  We're hoping that combining the two will be a win-win.  


After signing off, they visit.  

Albus:  They signed on the house yesterday and can move in next week.  The kids are thrilled - the property backs on Windu Acres.  Nakoma is driving Pocahontas nuts, bringing wedding planning books home from the library.  

Helena: Nakoma might have found her calling.  (her phone rings)  Yes, what is it?  I'm at Zenobia's apartment.  (gasps)  No, no, absolutely not!  You leave him there and I will deal with this!  (hangs up, crying)  Albus, I am so sorry.  I'll do anything I must to make this right.

Zenobia: Mom, what's happened?

Helena: Draco's been arrested.  He was the one that destroyed Albus's camper.




2 comments: