Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Wedding Plans

Responding to a call from her sister, Nakoma hurries to Wedding Belles, in downtown Barbieville.


Nakoma: Have you seen her in it yet? 

Midna: No, she refused to come out of the fitting room until you got here.  Said it was bad enough you  have to miss the parts you do.  

Nakoma: Well, you're the Maid of Honor.  Besides, I have a boatload of homework!


Pocahontas steps out of the fitting room, feeling a bit silly in all the frills and furbelows. 

Nakoma: Uh... wow? 

Midna: John insisted she get what he called a "real bridal gown".  It was all she could do to talk him out of white. 

Pocahontas: I love this veil, the roses.... but it's not very fancy.  (switches veils)


Pocahontas: This is the one they're selling with the dress, but it doesn't cover my face.  What do you guys think? I like both.  


Nakoma: Both.  You can more than afford whatever the alterations would cost.  Don't be your normal stingy self about your wedding!


Pocahontas: The reason we can afford it is my normal stingy self, Nakoma. 

Midna: Nakoma's right. Your wedding is a big deal and you should splurge at least a little.

Pocahontas: I can ask about the cost of alterations and, if it's less expensive to just buy both and alter it ourselves, we can do that.  Looks like it'd be a simple enough job.  


Nakoma: Let's try with some bobby pins and see how it looks. 

Midna: I take it back.  Maybe instead of a wedding planner, you should be dress designer.

Nakoma: I wouldn't desert Mom's dream any more than my sister would.  We're gonna run the park together.  

Pocahontas: Mom would come back and haunt us otherwise. 

*****

After leaving the dress and veil(s) for alteration, the three shop for bridesmaids' gowns and tuxes.  They retire to Sundance, famished, shortly before closing time.


Nakoma: You should see her dress!  It's crazy fancy, but somehow still fits her personality.  I think it's the colors...  Sky blue with silver.

Whitney: Blue?  Not white?

Pocahontas: After John married Albion and I went off to college, I went through a party girl stage.  I wouldn't feel right wearing white.

Whitney (covering her surprise): You don't have to be a virgin.  

Pocahontas: You don't, but I do.  Maybe I'm just more old-fashioned than you are. 


Tris joins them from the kitchen.

Tris: Back of the house is clean.  Whitney, can you start the washer when you toss your smock in? 

Nakoma (indicating the bandage): That looks painful.  What happened?

Tris: My fake tattoo is finally a real one. Four did it.   (Pulls over a chair from another table)  Are we talking wedding?  Spill. 




2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I wore white at wedding number 3, which was the only real wedding I ever had. And my son gave me away. Pocahontas is being a little silly, if you ask me. But she looks lovely and if she's happy, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think she's being silly, too. But every time anyone plans a wedding, people argue over that, so i wanted to toss it in there.

      Delete