Pages

Monday, November 18, 2019

Recover, Register, Relapse

On one of the rare days that both Zenobia and Tris are off work, Tris finds her stressing in the studio.


Tris: What's wrong? 

Zenobia: I've lined up guests for the Openly Biased series on bullying, but can't figure out how to get them all within camera range.  There's too many for swapping them out and I want them to be able to interact.

Tris: I keep telling you, put this wardrobe in front of the extra bathroom door.  If you open it, you'll double the seating area. 

Zenobia: I don't want my viewers looking at this!  I've had it since I was six and it looks like it!  The back lining... well, look at it.


Tris:  We'll go see Joe Montez.  I bet he's got discarded wallpaper we can recover the interior with.  Something not so juvenile and less distracting for your audience.  Buy Four dinner and he'll even do the work for you.

Zenobia: I suppose it's worth a try.  And we'll need Four either way because this thing weighs a ton. 


Later.

Zenobia: Four, I've got your payment ready.  Lasagna and garlic bread, as requested. 

Tris: But first we show you the results.  

Four: We didn't change much on the front.  Covered the logo on bottom so you don't get hit with a copyright violation, but the rest is the same.


Four: But when you open it up, it looks fun but not juvenile. I'm especially partial to the Route 66 sign on the door. 

Tris: What do you think, Zen?  Acceptable?

Zenobia: Even better.  I love it.  I swear, Tris, someone up there blessed me when we met.

Tris: They blessed me just as much.

Four: Oh, get a room, you two.

*****

At the college, Early registration for the Winter Quarter has opened.  Surprisingly few students take advantage of it, but the Barbieville residents do.  The guidance counselor at Barbieville High trained them well.


Phoebe: You look like you just survived a tornado.  

Sylvia: I put the top down.  It feels like summer out there! 

Phoebe: If you've got a science elective, take Intro to Paleontology.  The two o'clock class, so we can ride together. 


Ben: I'm taking that, too.  Just as a random elective, to fill a gap in the schedule. 

Becky: Pike?  Is this instructor kin to your boss?

Ben: His sister.  I haven't met her, though, except in passing.


Phoebe: Hi, Ben's friend that we've never been introduced to even though we see you with him all the time.

Ben: Sorry.  Becky Weasley, these two troublemakers are Phoebe and Sylvia Guinness.  I graduated with them.  

Sylvia: We should all take this class together, even if it doesn't fit our major.  Do you need an elective, Becky? 

Becky: I don't need one, but why not?  We've got a built-in study group right here!

******

Pocahontas comes in after a very long day - John and the kids are already in bed.


Pocahontas:  I'm so glad today is over with.  If it could go wrong, it did.

John: Everything all right now?

Pocahontas: Once I helped Albus get rid of that Jackson woman.  She kept harassing him to drop the charges against Draco Malfoy and he had to call me in because I actually own the property the trailer is on.  She refused to leave until I started dialing the police.  I swear, if one more thing...  (her phone rings)



Pocahontas: Yes, this is her.  What's happened?  (Gives John an alarmed look)  She's safe for the night?  All right, I'll contact you in the morning and we'll make a plan.  (Hangs up the phone and sits in troubled silence)



John: What is it?  Who is it? 

Pocahontas: Anakin's mother.  She's relapsed and overdosed. (Crying)  That poor boy has been through so much, John, why can't he catch a break? 

John: He has caught a break, sweetheart.  He's got us.

No comments:

Post a Comment