Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

Creatable World Review

WARNING NUDE DOLLS

FLEE FOR THE HILLS

Thanks to eBay, I finally got one of the Creatable World dolls.  There is a lot of controversy over these dolls, mainly because people misunderstand Mattel's intent.  (I do have a more in-depth discussion of this on my other blog, Adventures In Freeloading.) They are devoid of what social scientists call gender coding. Most dolls are sexless because giving dolls genitals is frowned upon, but these are also devoid of things like make-up and secondary sex characteristics (breasts, body hair).  



Here we see CW with Stacie and Kevin. Stacie is pre-puberty and Kevin is either after or during, depending on who you ask. CW works well in the 1:6 scale universe as a child approaching puberty.  My plan is to make any CW dolls that move to Barbieville be boys, since boy children are hard to find.  Anakin has no feet and is badly discolored by age, so I'm eyeing a CW recast for that role.  


The big selling point to me, though, is the articulation.  CW not only has working knees and elbows, but wrists and ankles.  Y'all know how I am about knees and elbows. Stacie and Kevin have the standard five points (neck, shoulders, hips) and Stacie has click knees. The feet were showing when I took this photo, I swear! If I somehow end up with body donors (aka doubles), Stacie will gain some height and Kevin regress developmentally.

Kevin: Wait. What?!


The CW dolls come with a wardrobe (size depends on what kit you buy). Many of the items are unisex, but some are gender coded. Here Stacie models black shorts under what some people have called a dress. Those side slits go awfully high for a child's dress!  CW dolls have a larger head and feet, so the hat is big on her. The shoes fell right back off. 

Some of the clothes will fit dolls as big as a classic Barbie. It just depends on the body mold and the fashion's design.


CW dolls come with a long hair wig. It pops on over the rooted hair. Most reviewers haven't cared for the wigs because the wig cap is visible.  I didn't even take mine out of the baggie the seller shipped it in.  (This doll is gently used.  In fact, it looks to me like they bought the big kit and only kept certain clothing items.)


Nice denims. The pockets and cuffs on the jeans are real.


I'm so happy I got the shark shirt! (One of the others comes with a monkey shirt.) The black shirt and shorts are what the doll is wearing in the box. The tote bag is functional. You saw Stacie in the long shirt. The skirt in front center looks like coral. 

CORAL! Sorry, I was possessed by Rick Grimes for a second there. 

Anyway, I'm very happy with Creatable World. The doll is well articulated. The clothes and accessories are well made. I found a pair of aviator glasses while typing this. I suspect they belong in this review, but I could be wrong. I'm not the tidiest, ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment