Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Investigation: Part One

 


Bertie: In today's news, the quest continues in Barbieville to find the murderer of a local woman.  The remains of Charlie Lake were found near Shore Thing Cafe yesterday morning.  The family of the victim and police chief Rebecca Lynch held a press conference this morning.


Lynch: This appears to be an isolated incident and we do not have any strong suspects at this point.  We're still waiting for lab results from the autopsy, but it appears Ms Lake was struck by a large vehicle in a grassy area. (She waits while questions are shouted to her.)  I'm not going to give details of the investigation, in part because the victim's family is right behind me and most of them are children.  Suffice to say, we have no reason to believe it was an accident.


James: I'm James Potter. (gestures toward the family) My sons, stepdaughters, and current wife. (blinks back tears)  Charlie is... was my ex-wife.  She had recently returned to town after working out west.  We beg anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact the police.  If not for her sake, then for the sake of three boys who no longer have their mother. (Questions from the crowd) We're cooperating completely with the police.  Last time I saw Charlie, she was dropping off the boys after her weekend with them.  Everything was normal.  

*****
Doll County Nature Preserve


Lynch: You're a hard man to track down. 

Hagrid: Sorry about that.  I got a deer out here, hurt, and I'm trying to catch him so... (starts crying) Well, they done killed my wild animal doctor, so... 

Lynch: Did she have any enemies you know of? 

Hagrid: Only everyone in the area that ever mistreated an animal.  Charlie'd just as soon string them up by their... you know what? She did tell me she was getting close to finding who dumped the baby horses.  

Lynch: What about in her personal life?

Hagrid (shakes his head): Never talked about that. But I bet she did.  She could be mean, really mean. That's probably why her and James split up, ya know.  He's way better at understanding sometimes folks just don't know better.  I guess I'll have to get him to check this deer out once I catch it. 

Lynch: I'll let you get back to work, but come down to the station soon for a formal interview.  If I'm not there, one of my officers can handle it.  I have to get down to Shore Thing before their dinner rush, talk to the little girl. 

Hagrid: The little one? She seen something?

Lynch: No.  Mei didn't let her, but she was there when the initial 911 call was made. 

****
Shore Thing Cafe, back corner


Mei: Cho, we'll need you to handle things.  Since Fei is a child, she needs a parent with her while she talks to the police.  Your father is in the kitchen.  If anyone wants to see the manager, you'll have to translate for him. 

Cho: Got it.  I'll bring y'all drinks.  Coffee, chief? 

Lynch: Yes, please. 



Mei: I'll just sit quietly unless I'm needed. 

Lynch: Thank you.  (to Fei) I'm recording this on my laptop camera, but pretend it's not there.  Just talk to me, okay? 

Fei: Okay.  I know Mommy gave you the security tape, but there's no sound, so I guess you need to know what we said.  (Thinks for a moment.) I was wrapping silverware and the man busted in yelling about somebody's dead out there. He needed a phone to call 911, so I offered him mine.  He got mad and said he has a cell phone but he needs a land line. Called me a stupid little... umm... girl dog? Except he said the bad word. 

Lynch: He swore at you?

Fei: Yeah, but I ignored it and got him the land line. He called 911 and I ran in the back to get Mommy. She made me stay in the kitchen with Daddy and the cooks after that. 

Lynch: What did the man act like? 

Fei: He was pretty freaked out.  Scared, I think.  Not really mad even though he cussed at me.  He's usually very nice.  He eats here a lot.  He don't like that one lady who works at Sunburst.  (Mei clears her throat.) I'm sorry, that's gossip. We don't gossip. 

Lynch: He didn't say anything else?

Fei (shakes her head no):  Where it happened, we walk right through there to go home.  I run home now because I'm afraid the bad man will get me. We all do. 

Lynch: It is scary.  (Looks at Mei, who nods.) We think he was just after her, so you're probably safe to walk home as usual.  Now I need to talk with your Mom. 

Fei: I'll tell Mommy if I think of anything , and she will call you, okay?











No comments:

Post a Comment