Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Getting Answers

 Barbieville Police Station



Lynch: You found the body, ran into Shore Thing, and had them call 911. I need a little bit more than that to go on.  Why were you there? What did you see specifically? 


Hank: That's all you're getting until my man from Witness Protection shows up. 

Lynch: Hank, you stumbled upon a crime scene. Giving me a statement about that is not going to have any impact on your status with the feds. You don't need to bother them with this. 

Hank: I don't care if I'm bothering them. (Stands up) Unless you call them in, or arrest me, I'm going back to my office.  I'm a busy man, Chief Lynch. 

Lynch: Fine, I'll call them. We'll make an appointment to get your statement.

Hank completely misses her sarcasm and leaves. Lynch goes back to her paperwork, what little she has at this point, and is startled by the abrupt appearance of Midge Sherwood, county coroner.


Midge: I've brought over copies of all my documents. The autopsy supports the obvious cause of death, unless something really weird shows up in the lab report. 

Lynch: Is it casual day at the morgue? 

Midge (laughs): No, I shower there and put on my civvies before heading home. 

Lynch: Not a bad idea. Sometimes I feel like I never take this uniform off. 

Midge: We might have a problem with Mr. Higgins. He tried to stop the CSI team from taking photos. 

Lynch: You have no idea. I'll handle him. How's Kamala settling in? 

Midge: She hasn't left my house. But it's not like I've had time to show her around town. 

*****
Windu Acres



Tanner: More dogs? 

Mace: I wondered when you were going to ask about that.  They came with the horse, and I know a few people who might adopt them.  Your girlfriend for one. She was disappointed when your folks decided to keep Cujo and Yeti.

Tanner: Yeah, but then Santa brought Anakin a cat. 

Mace: I know some other people, too.  Nakoma just gets first dibs. 


Tanner: I bet Four and Tris will take one, now that they're in their own place. She really misses her parents' dogs. 
 
Mace: Now you're thinking. (changes the subject) We buy the young rejects and breed them. There's less money in it, short term, but that's how we get the strong work horses Windu Acres is famous for.  People will reject a foal for all kinds of reasons.  

Tanner: Yeah, this one's got socks on the left legs but not on the right legs.  Big deal.

Mace: Don't be a snob. Some jobs require a certain look for the horse.  (Mace eyes Tanner for a moment.) You know, I'm really glad you decided to work with me. I retired because neither of Rosie's girls cared to follow in my footsteps.  Then y'all came along, and those foals turned up in the Nature Preserve, and I figured someone up there was telling me something.

Tanner: Did they ever catch the jerk who dumped those three? (Mace shakes his head.) Hagrid needs more trail cams. 

*****
WDOL studios


William: Good Afternoon, ladies. Is there a problem? 

Bertie: Yes. A major one. Have you seen the garbage they expect us to say on the air?

William: I can't say I have.  I trust my people to do their jobs largely unsupervised.


Becky: Good journalism should not be biased, Mr. Darling. I learned that on the high school newspaper.

Bertie: One of the reasons I took the pay cut to take this job was so I didn't have to cater to partisan interests. You promised our coverage would be balanced. 

William: Ladies, you are my anchors. You're the boss down there. 

Becky: So you've got our back when we tell them off? 

William (chuckles): Yes, Miss Weasley, I've got your back. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment