Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2019

What Is Mattel Thinking?

My Froggy Stuff posted a review of a new line of dolls.  Team Stacie.  I was thrilled!  Finally, some friends for Stacie!  Only the five basic points of articulation, which I can live with at that price point.  We can always find at Stacie with at least click knees and a matching skin tone, right?

Froggy said the two she reviewed were only part of the line, so I did a little research.  The Team Stacie's boy has an identical noggin to the Babysitters Inc boy.  The same mold, the same paint, everything. And maybe it's just me, but that face seems kinda mature for Stacie's age.


 (The boy in the dancing skeletons shirt is the one in question.)  

Head and face molds get reused all the time, it's no secret, but the face paint and skin tones can create many different looks.  Even the second run of Babysitters Inc isn't identical to the first, and I assume they're meant to be the same people!  I can live with lesser quality for a lower price point, I really can, but not even giving Team Stacie Boy his own noggin?  

Todd had the Stacie face mold.  His face paint was male-coded - shorter lashes and more neutral lip color.  A lot of people make their own boys by repainting the faces and cutting the hair on girl dolls.  It's actually pretty simple on a child.  Often even the same body mold works.  

It is possible that the picture I saw was a prototype.  He may end up with is own noggin.  I hope he does.  That one just hurts my brain.



Update:  Ms Leo over at I-Luv-Dolls posted better pictures of him and I totally stole one of them.  He doesn't have the same noggin after all!  In fact, he kind of looks like they took Babysitter Inc Boy's head and put the face of the Club Chelsea boy I named Bobby on it.  






6 comments:

  1. Hey! Using the Photo is cool! If you would link to the blog, that would be better!

    The the complexions on the Team Stacie dolls are different! Red haired one is the same but the others are different!!!

    The body is a lot darker than Stacie on the boy and others! He is darker that the Chelsea boy you have above. His face and hair color are different they the Skipper Guy! His hair is darker. Maybe the fact that he does look a little mature is what is bothering people about him but not me! The other new dolls that aren't Stacie are darker so a body match will be hard. I have a fairy doll that I put on a Stacie body but the complexion is off. She is just a little to dark for the Stacie body. I think that will be the issue with the Team Stacie with the brown hair. I have been thinking about painting the body on my Annyah! http://i-luv-dolls.blogspot.com/search/label/Annyah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had trouble finding a donor body for poor Courtney (Babysitters Inc Hispanic) and for both my Skipper size boys. Thanks for letting me use your pic and I will just link to you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking for an articulated body or just one without the bent arm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click knees at the very least. The bent arm doesn't annoy me near as much as the stiff knees. Do you have a suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my Hispanic Skipper on a HSM Gabriella body! It is similar in size and has click knees! For some reason this doll comes in different shades of mocha. So find the complexion that complements your doll the best. That post has a picture of her on the body!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I remember that now. I'll have to find a Gabriella I'm willing to decapitate!

      Delete