Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2019

New Year, New Drama?



Shortly before the store closes on December 31st, Pike takes a meeting with Mr Guinness.  He wants to know exactly why his son Ryan was fired.


Guinness: I am at my wit's end with this boy.  You'd think he would have learned his lesson when he and Tanner were suspended for fighting, but that was just the beginning.  His behavior just keeps getting worse.


Pike: A lot of your kids have worked here over the years and they've always been excellent employees.  Frankly, I'd hoped the entire thing with Tanner had been a misunderstanding.

Guinness: Sadly, no.  He tried to tell us that Tanner lied about the entire situation, then claimed Tanner just couldn't take a joke. One of my older daughters is dating a man I fear is influencing Ryan badly.  It doesn't help, I'm sure, that we've spoiled him rotten.

Pike: It's always a struggle not to spoil the youngest.  (Uses PA to summon Batgirl)  Most of the older ones have moved out of town, haven't they? 

Guinness: All but Ryan and two daughters in college.  


Batgirl joins them and recaps the incident. 

Guinness: And the customer was your ex-wife, Mr. Pike?  Your children?

Pike: Most of them were my children.  A friend of Stacie's was with them.  

Batgirl:  Ryan was out of line to say anything of that sort to any customer.  

Guinness: You're preaching to the choir, as the saying goes.  I just want to be certain I have all the facts.  (Thinks for a moment.) Ryan, perhaps, needs a reminder of just how fortunate he has been in his life.  Thank you for meeting with me, Mr. Pike, Mrs. Montez.  I'm satisfied Ryan's termination was warranted.  


*****

Doll County Day Care is hosting an overnight for the little ones of the town.  This way parents can enjoy New Year's Eve without worrying about babysitters.  He's even booked a band!  


John: Thanks so much for doing this.  The kids are thrilled.

Zenobia: A gig's a gig.  And we don't get many, since we can't perform anywhere that serves booze.  I'm the only one in the band of drinking age.

Tanner: Also, our sound is...  well....

Whitney: Eclectic is the word you want, Tanner.  


Roxy: Your babies are so cute.  I wish Daddy would get married and have a few.  Does Zenobia have a crush on my dad?  Kelly thinks she does.

Stacie: Zenobia's just a big ole flirt.  She acts like she has a crush on everybody.  Tanner says she'll get married about the time you-know-where freezes over.

Roxy: Oh, look, Anakin's here.  He didn't know if he was coming.


Pocahontas: Go on and help Stacie with her little sister and brother.  

Anakin: Roxy's helping her.  

Pocahontas: Anakin.

Anakin: OK, OK.  



Pocahontas: I'll pick him up before lunch tomorrow, but can't promise a specific time.  

John: No problem.  He's a good kid.

Pocahontas: We had a long talk yesterday about his mother.  Well, about forgiveness in general.  He made an interesting point about you.

John (nervous): Me? 

Pocahontas: He said I need to practice what I preach.  I was laying it on pretty thick about how his mother made mistakes and...  well, you get the idea.  

John:  Really?  

Pocahontas:   That's not to say we'll be picking up where we left off.  But I'm willing to accept your apology and at least be friends.


Wilma:  What you drawing? 

Freddy: My big brothers and your mommy and Zenobia.  I gots to write the band's name on it, too.  

Wilma: We'll have to get a big kid's help for that.  I can't write big words.  Can you?



Sarcastic Fringehead performs.  Whitney changes any lyrics to make them kid-friendly and leads the entire party in "Auld Lang Syne" before the nap mats come out and everyone settles in to watch the ball drop on TV.


Freddy: How come you guys are staying here?  You didn't drink no beer or nothing.

Tanner: No, but there's plenty of morons out there who did.  Besides, some one's gotta help John with all you rug rats.

Freddy: If you don't need my help with the babies, I can go sleep with Bobby and Ty and Anakin.

Tanner: Go ahead, kid.  We got this.


Freddy:  Nap time rules!  Boys on one side of the room, girls on the other.  

Anakin: Samara's a girl and she's over here with the boys.

Ty: We don't wanna sleep with no stinky girls. (Tanner says something and Finnick snickers.)  Make her go over there.

Bobby: Samara's mommy and daddy said it was okay because those are her big brothers.  Besides, she's not on our mat. 



Stacie and Roxy stay up late but all the younger girls don't even make it to midnight.  


Zenobia:  I can't believe Tanner said that.  Even I know better than that.

Whitney: He knows better.  That's why he only said it loud enough for us to hear.  

Zenobia: When are you going to do something more than make googly eyes at him?  

Whitney: As if he'd want a girl with my history.  Besides, I think he likes Mariko.   



2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a New Year's Eve sleepover for kids! Someone should do that in real life! Cut little story! Every time I see your Anakin in real shoe I am tempted to do the same to mine! BTW, have you ever thought about painting the boots other colors like brown, black or dark blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used to do the NYE sleepovers with my little minions, but they all grew up... If you've debooted your Anakin, you know he's got square pegs from midcalf down. (You'll notice everyone else at the party is barefoot!) The boots are "My Life As..." mini boots and I"ve got them in a few different colors. I just always end up grabbing the blue! Maybe he likes them best and is using the force on me?

    ReplyDelete