Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Saturday In Barbieville

Rose-Grace hurries to the store after getting a call from Pike. 


Rose-Grace:  What is it?  You sounded like you were crying.  And why did you...  (looks in the big box on his desk)  Oh.  It was your allergies.  

Pike:  Garbageman found these two in the dumpster.  Batgirl cleaned them up and fed them.  

Rose-Grace:  We can't have a cat, honey.  You're allergic. 

Pike:  Didn't you make Ash and Soot a temporary home in the horse trailer at some point?   We can get them checked by a vet and go from there.

Rose-Grace:  I suppose we could use a barn cat.  If she's well.


Mariko works the early shift at the diner.

Mariko: Sorry about the wait.  Our fryers weren't quite ready when you ordered.

PJ:  No problem.  Mariko, this is my daughter Emma.  We're house hunting today. 

Mariko: I didn't know you had a daughter.  Nice to meet you, Emma. 

Emma: She has two.  Me and my sister. Do you have any sisters?

Mariko's reply is drowned out by shouting from the next table.


Clara:  You said you wouldn't give my information out!

Violet: Those kids didn't have a court order.  The police did.

Raven: Hey!  Don't be jumping on my mom! 

Clara: Mind your own business, Hoops!  

Violet: Raven, keep out of this.  (to Clara)  Can we discuss this like adults?



Mariko, recognizing Clara from the previous incident, hurries into the back.  Midna bursts out of the kitchen and confronts Clara. 

Midna:  This is the second time you're created a disturbance in my diner.  Get out and stay out.

Clara:  This is a public place, Red.  

Midna: This is a privately owned business.  I have a legal right to protect it, and to protect my customers.  

Clara: You're gonna call the cops over a little yelling?

Midna: I already have.


Back home, Finnick and Fred join the animals in checking out the new arrivals.

Finnick:  If they couldn't keep the pets for some reason, why do something so cruel?  

Rose-Grace:  You'd think taking them to a shelter would be obvious.  Your dad said the security camera got a good look at the woman who did it.  


Fred: Kin we call them Brownie and Whitey? 

Finnick (laughs): I can see it now - the black mayor in her yard yelling Whitey.  

Rose-Grace (wistfully): To be four again and have no clue about the political climate.  (to Fred)  We aren't going to worry about naming them just yet, sweetheart.  But you can be in charge of collecting suggestions.



Kin As Parents holds its first official meeting at The Overlook.

Ben: Nova's our only other official member, so we've got a 75% turnout.  Not bad for the first meeting.

Pocahontas: Growth takes time.  Anyone got any news?


Becky:  I have news!  I got custody of my cousins, a job, and a place to live.  

Ben: Wow.  You've been busy. 

Becky: Well, the home and job are connected.  I'm going to be the residential manager for those new townhouse apartments on the Beach Highway.  

Ben: What about school? 

Becky: It'll be tricky, but I can stay in school.  Might have to do some classes on line.

Ben:  Aren't those income based?  Can you get me an application?

No comments:

Post a Comment