Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Story Seven: Meet The Candidates

Barbieville Museum, a month after the interrupted Mayoral Debate


Brent:  The first matter we'd like to address is the Keep Barbieville Virtuous campaign.  Both Mayor Pike and I have seen the materials being released by this group and we've agreed, after this date, to ignore the questions brought up.  They are based, at best, in ignorance.  

Rose-Grace: I was prepared to come in here with a stack of documentation.  (laughs)  It wasn't planned - the museum happened to set up our podium here - but it's rather ironic that I'm standing in front of JFK.  I wonder what Keep Barbieville Virtuous makes of him.

Brent: That said, we'd like to move on to your questions.  Everyone here should be aware of our positions on the various issues.  Please stand and wait for us to acknowledge you before speaking.


Esmeralda: I have a couple of things I'd like to comment on.  The first is some people claim that Barbieville's government is racist.  I'm Rom - a gypsy - and this town welcomed me with open arms.  I've had a few problems with individuals, but never with the authorities. (waits while people applaud)  The second is the notion that the mayor will take our property by force so the amusement park can expand.  My husband couldn't come because he was needed at the hospital, but my boys and I are here in support of Mayor Pike.  We're in negotiations with the park now and she has stayed out of it.    

PJ: I beg to differ.  My dental practice nearly closed permanently because the city seized the property I was leasing.  My building was up to code and there was no reason to seize it.


Rose-Grace: Did you receive compensation for relocation?

PJ: Well, yes, but...

Rose-Grace: Am I correct in assuming yours was one of the properties along the Beach Highway?

PJ: Yes, it was.

Rose-Grace: The structures that were up to code, presumably including yours, were in danger from the imminent collapse of the larger buildings surrounding them.  The land owner was given years to take down the hazards and did not do so.  


Brent begins to wonder if he was off-base in running against this woman.  Most of his platform is based on combating Imminent Domain.  But if she acted to protect the citizens of Barbieville, was she wrong to seize the property? 


Pocahontas: My mother was against expanding the park at all.  The very idea that she wanted to do that, or that she'd rope Rose-Grace into it, is an insult to her memory.  In fact, Mom met Rose-Grace when the former mayor tried to take people's land for profit.  Rose-Grace was a high schooler then and worked with Mom to stop the entire north side of town from becoming a multi-lane highway.  Mom could have made a lot of money from that, but she loved this town more.


Midna: My question has nothing to do with any of that.  A lot of my employees are worried about school shootings and police brutality.  What can be done about those issues?  


Rose-Grace: Our children are as safe at school as they are anywhere.  I have faith in the existing security features there. Despite what you might see in the news, school shootings are rare.  Horrific, but rare.  As for the police brutality, any incidents of that sort in my jurisdiction will not be tolerated.


Sulu: I can vouch for that.  I was pulled over for speeding and the cop called me a slant-eyed jackass.  He almost lost his job over it. (laughs) I still had to pay the ticket, though. 

Rose-Grace: Of course you did.  You mistook Main Street for the Autobahn. 

Sulu: Anyway, that was just words.  Pretty sure a cop that got physical would be unemployed real fast.  Maybe even arrested, himself.



There are no further questions from the floor, so the candidates make their closing statements.  Watching the crowd chat as they leave, Brent once again wonders if this campaign was a mistake.  

2 comments:

  1. Brent didn't say much, did he! I believe that the current mayor will get re-elected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent's discovering he doesn't HAVE much to say.

    ReplyDelete