Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

"Basement" Progress

If you'll recall, I recently started a bit of a reorganization project on my doll corner.  There are issues with rules set up by the Powers That Be.  I wrote it into the photo stories as a remodel of the Pike basement.  When we left the project, it looked like this:


I needed time and inspiration to finish the job.  I wanted to give the room a decent floor and a bit more height.  Just a bit, because I don't want to block the windows.  The makeshift garage here (cardboard box cut to size) is too short to pull The Tank into, which is one of the goals.  The Tank is almost the perfect height for the room to achieve maximum elevation.  


My public library has a shelf of books and other media, no longer in circulation.  You can pick up what catches your eye for a contribution.  They've had two laser discs on that shelf for quite some time.  While I have no laser disc player, I can certainly find use for those sturdy cases and the inserts.  The inserts are easy enough - posters for Doll County Museum exhibits!  


It was the cases that convinced me. Positioned correctly, they can provide exactly what I need.  And if not, I'm only out 57 cents.  (All the cash I had on me!)  Since I'd figured out a strong floor, that part wasn't needed. (I had a dismantled dollhouse wall awaiting permanent assignment as a backdrop.  It became a floor.) 


Height comparison between the laser disc cases and the vacuum box.  I used packing tape to create a stable three-sided riser.  I want need the front open for garage space.  The ultimate test, of course, was The Tank.  I can't back it in because of the rooftop deck, but it fits the other way! 


No, Wilma, I don't know what I'm gonna do with the discs.  You can use them as a mirror for now.


All the cars are out of the way, the room has a sturdy floor, and I'm not breaking my landlord's rules!  

2 comments: