Pages

Friday, January 31, 2020

The New Year Brings Beginnings

At the local college, the winter quarter begins.  


Becky: Hey, study buddies.  Ready to start the new quarter?

Phoebe: Sylvia started hers this morning.  Crazy woman took an eight o'clock class. 

Sylvia:  It's a required class, you bonehead.  (To Becky)  How do you know Ben, anyway?  We thought you were another business major, but he said you're in journalism. 

Becky: We're in a support group together, Kin As Parents.  We'd met before that, but KAP was what really made us friends.  

Phoebe: Are you interested in being more than friends?  It's just us girls, you can tell us.

Sylvia: I hope not, because he's gay.  That's why -- 

Phoebe: Stop believing the crap your ex told you.  (To Becky) My sister recently escaped from a cult.  Oops, I mean a bad relationship that might as well have been one. 

Sylvia: Well, if he isn't gay, then why -- (Shuts up when she sees Ben enter the room.)


Ben (laughs at the awkward silence): Talking about me, huh?  Did you have anything juicy to say? 

Becky: You are pretty much the only thing we have in common at this point. 

Ben: Good point.  Besides, if you're talking about me, you're leaving someone else alone. 


Morgan: Welcome to Intro To Paleontology.  I'm Morgan Pike, your instructor.  Today we're just going to go over the syllabus and set some ground rules.

******

At Barbieville City Hall Complex, Rayshawn Lucas puts the next step of his plan into motion.


Rayshawn: Wow.  This is the most casual mayor's office I've ever been in. 


Rose-Grace:  I'll take that as a compliment.  Mr. Lucas, I presume? 

Rayshawn: Yes.  And you must be Ms Pike.  I wanted to discuss my plans for The Point.  Right now, there's an issue with the zoning? 

Rose-Grace: The previous owner was trying to have it rezoned and many of my citizens were against the move.  If you're planning to reopen the motel and campground as it was, zoning won't be a problem. 

Rayshawn: Excellent.  

*****

Jeremiah Russo is moving into his fiancee's rambling old farmhouse, which requires cleaning out unused rooms for his daughters.  Some of his co-workers volunteer to help after work Saturday.


Esmeralda: You're right.  She does look more like a Gypsy fortune-teller than I do.

Jeremiah: It's those earrings.  You don't do the big hoop earrings.

Esmeralda: I never did.  Anyway, put me to work! 


Nova: Neither of these women is Pern.

Jeremiah: Pern's coming.  (Points out his co-workers)  The gal with blue hair is Zenobia Malfoy and the other is Esmeralda Eaton. 

Nova: Zenobia's a Malfoy? Mariko never mentioned that part. 

Jeremiah: He's nothing like her dad, I promise.  How could she be, if she's friends with this bunch? 

Nova: Speaking of this bunch... you can probably guess who they are.  

Jeremiah: How do you tell the twins apart?


Zenobia: Someone got up to some kinky stuff in here.

Nakoma: You got kinky on the brain. When did Esmeralda and Pern switch bodies?

Zenobia: Hey, she volunteered.  Pern had to wait around for Frodo... he got a flat tire and was running late... but she's coming. She said Anakin asked Pocahontas to adopt him?  What's up with that? Your little brother will be your nephew.  

Nakoma: If Pern signs over total custody, it's about the same thing without an actual adoption.  He can even change his name to Smith if they want, but he won't legally be John and Pocahontas's kid. (shakes her head) Kind of hard to explain.  But if they do it, I'm considering asking to do the same, because I'm sick of carrying around Cash's name. 


Tanner: Hey, where's your lazy sons?  Get em in here!

Esmeralda: Only one of my sons is lazy.  

2 comments:

  1. I’m pleased to see so many students are taking palaeontology! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet not a one of them majoring in it...

    ReplyDelete