Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Evening at Windu Acres


Mace comes in from the barn for supper.  While he greets the dogs, he notices an unexpected guest.

Mace: Hey, Joe!  What are you doing here?  

Rose-Grace: Grab a seat, Dad.  I need to talk to you before I give Joe his orders.


Rose-Grace: We've decided to divide the basement into small rooms.  

Mace: Well, it's your house now, so go for it. You don't need my permission.

Joe: We've planned a nursery for those monsters on your lap and a small studio for the boys' band.  

Rose-Grace: Fred will be in the nursery, too.  He overhears way too much sharing a room with teenagers.  (to Mace) We want to you to take one of the rooms.  You've practically moved back in since Mom died, anyway.  But if you do, you need to get with Joe on details.

Mace: If you're keeping the cellar door, I can take that room.  Make it easier to slip out in the wee hours to care for the horses. But other than that, I trust Joe on the details.  Gonna soundproof the studio? 

Rose-Grace (laughs): Mostly, anyway.  Even if Sarcastic Fringehead ceases to exist, we've got six more possible musicians in the house.  Could be doomed to twenty years of garage bands. 

*****

Upstairs, Finnick and Tanner are hanging out with most of their friends.  


Frodo: Didn't you tell your folks that you pretty much gave up on making a career of the band?

Tanner: We did.  But Dad refers to it now as a serious hobby.  And we do make a little money at it.

Frodo: Well, you can make money with a serious hobby.  I'm jealous.  Can't even talk my folks into moving Ty outta my room and into the attic.  Hell, I even offered to take the attic! 

Whitney: I've seen your attic.  I don't blame them.


Mariko: Speaking of moving kids in and out of rooms, Nova's offering unlimited soft drinks and pizza to anyone that helps clear out two of the rooms in our upstairs.  She's finally marrying Jeremiah and we need those rooms for Alex and Lottie. 

Nakoma: I'm in.  I might have Roxy and Kelly with me, though.  Pocahontas is hauling the guys to the bridal shop for their suits.  

Mariko: We can always find smaller jobs for smaller helpers.  Anyway, I just stopped in for a few after work.  Whitney, need a ride the rest of the way home or you gonna get one of the guys to drive you? 

Nakoma (checks the time): Holy Smoke!  I better go, too! 


Whitney decides to go with them, leaving the guys to do whatever it is guys do.  

Frodo: What's the story with Mariko's house, anyway?  

Finnick: It was probably built for one of them old school farm families with ten or twelve kids, so there's a million bedrooms.  StepMom said the old man who lived there died and whoever inherited it auctioned it off with everything in it.  Mariko's folks were the highest bidders. 

Tanner: How do you go from that big a family to an old man living alone?  None of those ten or twelve kids wanted the place? 

Frodo: Happened to my great grandparents.  Grandpa was the youngest of thirteen, got the place by default, and Dad was his only kid.  When he died, there was a lot of debate, but they decided to move here and keep the place. 

Tanner: Your great-grandparents had thirteen kids in that house?  Where did they put them?

Frodo (laughs):  I have no idea!  

No comments:

Post a Comment