Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Any Requests?

Rayshawn Lucas came to Barbieville with a business proposition for his old colleague Billy's wife.  She insists on the most casual meeting ever.


Rayshawn: Went by the hospital to check on Billy.  He's looking good, all things considered.

Charlotte: Yes, his care has been excellent.  I honestly didn't expect him to last this long.   How long will you be in town? 

Rayshawn: I hope to be here long-term.  I want to buy you out on that lake front property. 

Charlotte: The Point? Oh, no, it is not for sale.  That's the first of the nails in this town's coffin. 


Rayshawn: What you're doing with that property is undermining everything else you're trying to do.  Losing money hand over fist is not gonna convince anyone to give you custody of your kids - or their trust funds.  In fact, you could lose everything.  

Charlotte: How do you figure that? 

Rayshawn: According to my estimates, you've already lost half a million on it.  The legal fights over zoning alone ate up most of that.  Factor in loss of revenue from a functional RV park, property taxes, all those things...  You've got a very expensive millstone around your neck.


Charlotte: You have no idea what I'm trying to do.

Rayshawn: You're trying to crush this town for wrongs of the past and keep your pretty little hands on Mary and Max's inheritance.  You'll be much better off - and get a better revenge - if you act as a savvy and rational business woman.  But this thing with The Point is neither savvy nor rational. 

Charlotte: You may be right.  Buy up the town bit by bit...  they'd rent from me, work for me, everything.  Rayshawn, you are a genius!  I could own them all.  

Rayshawn: First step, sell me that property.  Spin the tale somehow to make you look good.  

******

A very different sort of meeting is happening at the county seat, in the probation office.


Draco: I did my community service.  Are we done here?

Helena: Apparently not, if that's all the respect you have.  (To Bonnie) It doesn't appear my son's learned his lesson, Ms Carson. Any suggestions? 

Albus: He's done what the courts said he had to, Helena, but certainly you can volunteer him for more.  I can get you a list of homeless shelters, food pantries... 


Bonnie: Albus is right.  Once I enter this data into the system, Draco's obligation to the courts is fulfilled.  However, a bit of volunteer work with the less fortunate would do him no harm.  (To Draco) You've been very fortunate.  Don't mistake that for anything you deserve. 

Draco: Look, you ginger bim-- (Helena claps a hand over his mouth, and not very gently.)

Bonnie: If you'll send my next appointment in, Mrs. Malfoy? 

Helena leads Draco out, hand still over his mouth.

Albus (pauses in the doorway): Doctor Malfoy.  She has a PhD. 


Bonnie's next appointment is Pern.  

Bonnie: Everything looks good.  You're working, attending sobriety meetings.  Even got a fellow from the group a job at Sunburst?  Very nice.

Pern: Turns out, his fiancee is the aunt of one of our servers!  You should have seen her face when she realized who the new day cook was! 

Bonnie: I do have to tell you, it's quite unusual for an adult to bring relatives in with her.

Anakin: Oh, that's my fault, Ms Carson.  I wanted to ask Mommy and Pocahontas something, but I want you to hear.  You can give us advice about it, I think.


Anakin (to Pern): I been thinking about what can help you get better and I think I know something that is best for everyone, but I'm scared you're going to get upset when I tell you.  I don't want you to think I hate you or anything like that. 

Pern: I promise to hear you out, even if it upsets me.  


Anakin: I want Pocahontas and John to adopt me. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I was almost feeling sorry for Draco - I thought he seemed very contrite last time we saw him. I guess he's as quite the actor! And that's quite a business meeting in the sauna!

    ReplyDelete