Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Monday, Monday


Very early Monday morning, Violet arrives at Sunburst to find odd activity.  

Violet: Did you fire me and forget to tell me? 

Midna: Don't be silly.  I,m just getting a head start for you on looking for a new day cook.  

Pern: We found a note taped to the front door when we got here. Apparently Jason got a really good job offer and had to go immediately. 

Violet (angry): He couldn't be bothered to call? 

Midna (to Pern): Is this your friend?

Pern: Yes.  And don't worry, he's been sober for fifteen years.  

Midna (reading the application): He worked at The Point almost that long.  Excellent references.

Pern: Charlotte Jackson did him real dirty.  No severance pay, nothing.  He's got two kids to support and is planning a wedding.  

Violet: I'm going to be insubordinate and order the owner into the kitchen.  Take Pern with you while I make the needed calls.  

*****
Early afternoon sees Joe Montez meeting with Pike.


Joe: You know, you keep giving me work, I might have to hire actual help instead of enlisting my children.  What do you have in mind now? 

Pike: We were having trouble fitting in that house before Orlando and Samara arrived.  We've decided to see what we can do with the biggest combo bathroom and laundry room on the planet.  I drew you a rough plan of our ideas.


Joe: I can already see a couple of issues we'll need to work around.  You just thinking more bedrooms? 

Pike: Actually, one of the things we'd like to do is put in a small studio.  The boys are still heavy into their band even if they do have more realistic career goals now. 

Joe: When can I come over, get a good look at the space?

Pike: If we aren't home, Mace is there.  He only goes back to his apartment to sleep.  Show up at dinner time and we'll even feed you.

****

Speaking of Mace.  


Mace: What are you doing here?  Come over to seduce me? 


Candy (laughs): You wish, old man.  (to Angus) Isn't it too cold out here for you? 

Mace: He loves the snow.  It is too cold for Silver Stream.  Her breed isn't as hardy as Angus's.

Candy: Speaking of breeding, you know the kids want a colt.

Mace: I've heard a rumor to that effect.  Seriously, though, why are you here?  

Candy: Came to see the kids when they get home.  I'm leaving on assignment this evening.


Candy is waiting inside when the kids get home and they gather around, even the ones that don't share her blood. 

Tanner: The Middle East?  Again?

Candy: I'm a photojournalist, son.  I have to go where the news is happening. 

Fred: Are you going where there's bombs, Mommy?  Dr. Marcus went to a bomb place and his leg came off.  What if your leg comes off? 

Candy: I'll be very careful.  And Marcus does okay without his leg. 


Fred: I will get Four to teach me how he helps his daddy, just in case.  

Stacie: Aren't you scared, Mommy?

Candy: True bravery is going on even though you're scared.  Gotta keep the world informed, right?


Nikki: She'll be okay, guys.  She always is. 

Finnick: That's the spirit.  

2 comments: