Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Naming the Nameless

Many of my dolls come with names, but sometimes they don't or there's already someone with that name in Barbieville.  None of them are named "Barbie". 

Samantha was Barbie and she came with two nameless puppies.  She was a gift, so I let the giver name her.  But not the pups - she was suggesting things like "poophead"!  One is light gray (almost white) and the other is darker gray.  Based on that, I call them Ash and Soot.

Kevin, Nikki, and Courtney were given the names of previous friends of Skipper with which they share traits.  I didn't have a "previous" name for Claudia so I named her after my favorite character from The Babysitter's Club books.  (You know, because the Skipper friends are Babysitters Inc)

Tanner was a duplicate Hunger Games Finnick.  He's named after the main character of Damnation Alley, keeping with that whole dystopian theme.   When I brought Dean home and asked my handy minion for a suggestion, the minion said he looked like a "Dingus".  I decided it was kinda mean to call the poor guy Dingus and shortened it to Dean.

Some of them just get their names altered just slightly.  High School Musical's Sharpay became Charmaine.  Because... Sharpay?!  Kyra was originally Secret Spells Kayla.  Zenobia was Zia. Rose-Grace was simply Grace, but she was wearing roses and I couldn't decide which name I liked more.  Candy was Candy Glam Theresa.

Sometimes it's about their physical features.  I mentioned in a previous post that my Flavas Tre ended up being Frodo because he was short and had big Elijah Wood eyes. Violet has a purple streak in her hair.  Midna (who was originally Fairytopia Sunburst) has red/orange hair like the character from Twilight Princess.  Rachel - one of my sisters suggested that name and it suited her face.

One of the horses is a thrift store find.  Soft gray, almost silver, with a lighter mane and tail.  I was pondering color-based names and that handy minion suggested Silver Stream.  If you read Warrior Cats, you might recognize the name!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, there are no photos this time. 

1 comment:

  1. I always struggle with names for my dolls too! I like your method of choosing names!

    ReplyDelete